Best Temperature For Squirrel Hunting

HogKillaDNR

I've never eaten squirrel so I want to try them this year. I hear they can have parasites and I was wondering what's the best temperatures to hunt them in, for eating? I'm here in Alabama and we just had frost last week but I was just concerned.

Doug B.

I'm assuming you are talking about bot fly larvae. We always called them wolves. It seems like they start getting them around the first of September. Then they are usually gone by about the middle of October. The old timers always said they were gone by first frost which here is typically around the middle of October. They should be gone in your area though at roughly the same time so you are good to go now. Post some pictures if you kill any and enjoy eating them. They are my favorite wild game to eat!

common man

On eating them I like to keep it simple, really good cleaned up good, cut into quarters, cover with your favorite Cajun seasoning or just season salt, fry in lard.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I've never eaten squirrel so I want to try them this year. I hear they can have parasites and I was wondering what's the best temperatures to hunt them in, for eating? I'm here in Alabama and we just had frost last week but I was just concerned.
We sent the kids out with pellet rifles and they brought back a heap of tree rats. We grilled them and put some BBQ sauce on em. They was good. Even my pickiest eater lover them

Hillbilly stalker

I watched several squirrels yesterday thru bino’s, including a handful of fox squirrels. I didn’t see a wobble one. They usually scratch at them a lot, didn’t see it. I ain’t eating around a nasty worm, I remember as a chap busting them things off of the cows back. I have a stomach of iron…..but that ain’t happening.:waggingfinger:

Doug B.

I watched several squirrels yesterday thru bino’s, including a handful of fox squirrels. I didn’t see a wobble one. They usually scratch at them a lot, didn’t see it. I ain’t eating around a nasty worm, I remember as a chap busting them things off of the cows back. I have a stomach of iron…..but that ain’t happening.:waggingfinger:
I'm with you brother!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Squirrel season opens here mid-October. That's when I start hunting and eating them. They're fine.

HogKillaDNR

We've had a couple of mild frosty mornings but nothing bad. I'm going Deer hunting Sunday next week I might try to shoot a mess of squirrels. I can't wait to see what everyone is talking about. Plan on trying to use some Buffalo seasoning on them.

specialk

i've had rabbits with them worms in them also....not to often....jan and feb......