Best time to hunt squirrels?

Mattval

Hey there I just wanted some opinions. When is the best or your favorite time to hunt squirrel. I will be still hunting. No dog yet.

Thanks

Matthew

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Squirrels are active early and late, but you can walk em up about any time, really...

The wind is your enemy. If it's blowing, they'll set tight all day.

Carry a crow call with you, and give an angry blast or two in areas with nests, or cuttings if nothing's moving.

Shake, or smack nest trees with a stick, one might run out...

Get out there, walk the woods, and take a kid if you can.

Doug B.

Contrary to popular belief, frost is not what runs the wolves out of the squirrels. They come out of the squirrel after feeding for a few weeks. Usually by the time frost comes the wolves have already done their thing and gone.

Hillbilly stalker

Right after a fresh rain they pop out and are real active. This time of year a good patch of hickory trees will always have some cutting. You take a couple quarters with you and grind the edges together....they’ll stick their head right back out. Their nosier than any mother-n-law You ever met.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've killed squirrels at all hours of the day. The best times usually seem to be right after the sun comes up and right before it goes down, though.

mtcur

As soon as the leaves fall. Still plenty of food and you can see them. Squirrels are not as busy late season because most of the acorns are gone and they'll be cutting pine cones. They seem to be out more on over cast days. There are always exceptions and squirrels will be out somewhere. I have even treed two at night. The best time is when you get a chance go.

Last edited:

Buckman18

This time of year before the acorns, in the mountains, just find some hickories with nuts and you'll have squirrel's way up high cutting. Time of day doesn't really matter but early morning/late evening will be cooler.

Mattval

Thanks all

madsam

Same as fishing ,early a.m., late p.m. if on your own.. I go at anytime in woods
with nest. If you have a partner ,one of you smack the tree with a old fence
post and be ready. Also, pull the vines going up the trees especially ones
with nest. Best fun you can have with a young'in.

CroMagnum

Squirrels are active early and late, but you can walk em up about any time, really...

The wind is your enemy. If it's blowing, they'll set tight all day.

Carry a crow call with you, and give an angry blast or two in areas with nests, or cuttings if nothing's moving.

Shake, or smack nest trees with a stick, one might run out...

Get out there, walk the woods, and take a kid if you can.
I'm going to try that crow call recommendation