Best way to ask permission to hunt someone's land?

bighits4421

I've always wanted to door knock and ask permission to hunt, but never knew what to say. It felt like I have nothing to offer besides saying, "Hey I saw you had some nice land, does anyone hunt here? If not, would you mind if I hunted it." I could give them half the meat, help them with land maybe? Seems like they have nothing to gain, but liability to say yes. If I was a land owner I'd say no, so I hate asking without returning the favor some how.

What do yall do or say?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Hunting by permission possibilities are few these days. I recommend sending a letter offering to lease the hunting rights. It has worked for me.

280 Man

Banned
Having a planned script is kinda hard to do. But just be polite and ask what's you want!

Dont show up in camo or after you've mowed the back 40. Dont show up on Sunday either, some wouldn't mind but you don't know if they are some that wouldn't mind!

Knock on door and back up. Don't crowd the door! Make them feel comfortable with your presence! Smile and extend your right hand, look them in the eye and introduce yourself! And from there you are own your own with your question!

shdw633

Might also offer to do some upkeep or maintenance around their homeplace, especially if the landowner is older ?

This ^^^^^ It still happens now and then that you can find a place to hunt for free but it takes some work on your part. I would try to catch the individual outdoors or away from the property for a more friendly greeting opportunity and introduction instead of walking up to the front door of the residence as that can put individuals on edge. After you get the introduction over the do what transfixer stated and offer to help around the property in return for being able to hunt the property. If all else fails then ask if a lease is possible.

LONGTOM

Just wondering what kind of a person states he would not let someone hunt his and then wants to hunt someone else's land ? Do unto others!

nmurph

From someone that makes a living selling-

Rules #1, #2, #3, #4....establishing a relationship is the key to selling.

I would suggest doing a drive-by for a few days to see if you can detect a routine. Face to face, introduce but be brief (who you are and where you live). Ask if they have 2 minutes to talk. If they say no, ask when would be a better time. Don't come at suppertime, bf church, etc...break the ice (the weather is always safe topic and will elicit response... man, it sure is hot today... or, we sure could use some rain or some dry weather... mentioning family or the home isn't a good idea... are you a stalker or planning a robbery?). Then say, " I know you are probably busy, I won't keep you but a second, I would be interested in leasing in your property. Give a pause...not awkwardly long, but give them a second to talk...you are trying to get them to talk...yes or no doesn't matter at this point, you are just trying to get them to talk. If they immediately say no, be prepared to offer a very brief bit of info about what you have in mind, but keep it in terms of what benefit you can provide...help with chores, cutting a few loads of wood, keeping others off the property (careful here...they don't want a stranger being a game warden). If they haven't told you no at this point, ask questions that get them to talk about what they dislike about being an owner and be prepared with some solutions. Keep things brief....don't try to convince them in your first stop...you are building a relationship!!!!

Rule #5...if in doubt, reread Rules #1-4!!

Remember, you are boiling a frog...warm the water slowly. Don't worry if you don't get a positive response the first day, or even the first year. Build that relationship and it will pay off eventually. It may not be with this landowner, it may be with their friend or neighbor.

Gator89

I gained access to turkey hunting property in WI by knocking and asking. When the season was over, I baked bourbon chocolate pecan pies and took them to the landowners as a token of my appreciation. I was allowed to hunt multiple seasons.

Deer hunting, not so much luck.

Jim Boyd

The biggest mistake I see - and I work very hard on this:

It ain’t about you.

Say it three times.

Make the conversation be ABOUT them and about their land.

They don’t care where you have hunted and what you did there.

Make the question in the form of a compliment:

This is one of the prettiest farms I see on this road and I would really love to talk with you about the possibility of hunting....

When you get a NO (and you will) be very appreciative of their time - and act like it was a second thought and grab a new flashlight and new Deere cap from your truck and give it to them with a genuine “thank you for your time” and have your contact info with the gifts.

It also helps if you see John Deere equipment if you use a Deere hat.

You can substitute a set of Carhartt gloves for the hat.

Even with the NO - there will be times that your phone rings later.

Best of luck.

livetohunt

The biggest mistake I see - and I work very hard on this:

It ain’t about you.

Say it three times.

Make the conversation be ABOUT them and about their land.

They don’t care where you have hunted and what you did there.

Make the question in the form of a compliment:

This is one of the prettiest farms I see on this road and I would really love to talk with you about the possibility of hunting....

When you get a NO (and you will) be very appreciative of their time - and act like it was a second thought and grab a new flashlight and new Deere cap from your truck and give it to them with a genuine “thank you for your time” and have your contact info with the gifts.

It also helps if you see John Deere equipment if you use a Deere hat.

You can substitute a set of Carhartt gloves for the hat.

Even with the NO - there will be times that your phone rings later.

Best of luck.

If there is anyone I know that is good at getting permission, it's Jim...So following his advice would be wise.

Josh B

I would wait until they catch you then ask. Just kidding. I gained the right to hunt 300 acres in Walton county which is unheard of but I had to do a $3000 electrical job for free and promise to only bow hunt.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I got permission from a cattle farmer once just by catching him in his barn working on his hay cutter , I just pulled up and introduced myself and asked for hunting permission in exchange for some help around the farm , he said he didn’t need much help but I was welcome to hunt just make sure I closed the gates behind myself and leave it the way I found it , and no rifles ! I drop his and his wife some fresh vegetables off every summer out of my garden and set on the porch and chat a little !

kevan tyler

I say the same thing every time, last 2 years I’ve been to over 500 houses, have around 250 acres now, ALWAYS ask if someone else is hunting it if they say yes don’t hunt it ive passed some good land to stay off peoples backs and I’ve forgotten to ask and ran up on people and was disappointed then left,

kevan tyler

#1 don’t be Rude.
#2 carry a knife in your back pocket there are some weird rude and straight ugly people in this world
#3 wait till you get to your car to laugh at the Hillary supporters
#4 if they have kids 99% of the time they say no
#5 you are going to burn a lot of gas
#6 don’t push gun hunting too hard
#7 there are a handful of nice people that invite you inside for a cup or coffee always be respectful and responsible
#8 I sometimes let the new person talk to people that let me hunt as reference if they are on the edge
#9 yes sir, yes mam, if they say no tell them thanks for the time have a great day,
#im saying this again Always ask if someone is hunting don’t be a ***** and get on top of them
#10 build a relationship with lane owners

#if you have any more questions pm me:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Seek2

Banned Again
#1 don’t be rude.
#2 carry a knife in your back pocket there are some weird rude and straight ugly people in this world
#3 wait till you get to your car to laugh at the Hillary supporters
#4 if they have kids 99% of the time they say no
#5 you are going to burn a lot of gas
#6 don’t push gun hunting too hard
#7 there are a handful of nice people that invite you inside for a cup or coffee always be respectful and responsible
#8 I sometimes let the new person talk to people that let me hunt as reference if they are on the edge
#9 yes sir, yes mam, if they say no tell them thanks for the time have a great day,
#im saying this again Always ask if someone is hunting don’t be a ***** and get on top of them
#10 build a relationship with lane owners

#if you have any more questions pm me

Don’t forget the part about asking the land owners if someone is may be hunting the property already. You don’t want to go in and hunt a spot that someone already may be hunting. The land owner may not care, but the person already hunting it may care.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Scored 52 acres all to myself bordering the only woods around.
The hunting was phenomenal the last 30 days. Can’t hardly wait till September to roll around. No gun but all hunting permission to shoot deer.
I worked years for it.

Core Lokt

I prefer talking face to face. It has worked for me but then again it was always with older country folks, black and white. currently I give $200 a year for a 5ac tract tucked back in a plantation. I also give them plenty of meat.

Good luck.