Best way to kill over ran hogs at deer camp?

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
Hogs have taken over our jasper county club. 50 has been spotted at once. We baited them up last Thursday and my son got his first hog. He went crazy he was so happy. We are gonna try again tomorrow. But I’m not sure with the pressure everyone is putting on them if they will go nocturnal. Or will they not? Any advice where we can keep wearing them out would be much appreciated. Even if it’s the green light method. Any advice? Will they keep coming out in the day if we keep them baited?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
They'll eventually wise up...

Have a pig killin' party with several friends till they do.

You might get lucky and run em off...

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like y’all are having fun hunting them and don’t want them GON , when they get hunted hard on my lease during deer season I hunt them at night . Just with a spin feeder with a motion light on feeder . Works great

transfixer

They will go nocturnal if pressured, and will likely move more at night in this hot weather now and the next couple months, pressure them too much and they'll move , thats what happens on our lease every deer season, they are most active on our lease during feb,march and april, trapping a bunch at once is the best method of putting a dent in them, one of those figure 6 corral traps aren't hard to put together, you can find videos on YT about them.

furtaker

In my experience if you kill one over a feeder they will quit coming regularly at the same time for a week or two or three, and then they'll start slipping up again. Hogs are pretty sharp.

sleepr71

If you are really seeing 50 at the time...I’d either invest in some corral style traps & catch as many as possible,or...find another lease!! That property won’t hold many Deer with that many Hogs..and they will multiply QUICKLY !!

jammeri5

We run them with dogs on our jasper county lease (Hwy 11 south area) when we get a bunch. They leave for months at a time after that even with feeding deer. We don’t have many and I’m sure we’re just pushing the problem off on some other area. Trapping the sounder together is your best bet with that many

Ray357

AWOL
Hogs have taken over our jasper county club. 50 has been spotted at once. We baited them up last Thursday and my son got his first hog. He went crazy he was so happy. We are gonna try again tomorrow. But I’m not sure with the pressure everyone is putting on them if they will go nocturnal. Or will they not? Any advice where we can keep wearing them out would be much appreciated. Even if it’s the green light method. Any advice? Will they keep coming out in the day if we keep them baited?
They get gun shy and trap shy pretty quick.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Get u a grinder , if they nice and fat they make some fine sausage , and it’s pretty easy ! I eat a few every year and usually grind 2 up

Tight Lines

Here is a sure fire way to get rid of them.

Take a 55 gallon drum, fill it with corn, add grape Kool-aid and water, some sugar and let it ferment. Once it starts bubbling, and is really getting going...drive to the property line of your favorite neighbor and dump it over the fence...do that a few times and they'll relocate for you...

I'm just kidding of course...

longrangedog

Handling and processing wild pigs is dangerous business which is why finding a processor is difficult. All the old diseases and parasites that were long ago eliminated from domestic pigs are present in the wild population. Google "diseases and parasites humans can get from wild pigs" and you should come to the conclusion that there is a lot of risk involved for little reward.

bany

They will go nocturnal. They’ll get smart. They will resume after a week of so with no pressure. They may just leave for quieter pastures but will remember yours at some time.
If your in and it’s sounds like you are, an area of hog strong hold they probably won’t leave. They’ll just go where you aren’t or hole up in a thicket til dark. They will be active in all the spots during the day that y’all don’t hunt or access easily. If you hunt at night they will listen to your mode of transportation and avoid you, you’ll finally push them to someone else’s property til the pressure stops or food isn’t favorable.

on a several day hunt we go to spot and stalk to find them after about one or two days of good pressure on feeders or green fields.

Last edited:

bany

Processing isn’t really difficult. Plenty of fellas have how to videos. Just practice safe handling. Use alcohol or peroxide to clean up and especially clean any open wounds you may have. My buddy got the brucellosis from being too carefree with an open wound. I suppose he’s cleaned well over 1,000 hogs at camp.

bany

September and October are okay but ya cant goof off!