Best/worst bbq in georgia!?!?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
What exactly was bad about GA Bob's? Was it at the location in Macon? I have also noticed a downward trend over the last few years since they have tried to expand and cover multiple locations. Some locations are busier than others and seems like the less busy places get the short end of the stick when it comes to freshness and quality.

It was in Macon. Everything about it was terrible. The sauce was bad. The sides were awful. The meat wasn’t very good. I don’t think my tea was even good.

Russdaddy

well I finally had some BBQ worthy of posting in this thread, and not because it was good. 2 Brothers - in Ballground..... the worst pile of pulled oven roasted almost dehydrated pork I have ever tried. It was slathered with some funky liquid that was supposed to be sauce, and some kinda slop that was called Brunswick Stew. I dont know how they stay open, cost an arm & a leg too.

the best BBQ in this area is hands down at Bigguns! I've tried nearly the whole menu and it never disappoints!

DAWG1419

Count me in on Fresh Air BBQ being the worst. Just plain nasty.

Good BBQ:
Old Hickory House in Tucker
Fox Brothers in Atlanta
4Rivers in Florida(I just read in this thread they have an Atlanta location)
Community BBQ on Clairmont Rd in Decatur
Smokin Po Boys in Winder
Pulaski Heights in Athens has good meat but the side are a little funky

Bad BBQ
Butt Hutt in Athens(was good a few years ago until the son took over)
Shanes Rib Shack
Dickeys

The McDonalds of BBQ=Sonnys

The pit at Old Hickory House:
View attachment 956763
Old Hickory House has great collards and I don’t eat collards. But those are amazing.
Smokin po boys is amazing. Never had anything bad. Gonna take the drive from social circle to eat lunch there today.

Bucaramus

Smokin Po'Boys in Winder is pretty good. Butter rub wings are great.
Holcombes brunswick stew is awesome!
Jacks Old South brisket on Thursdays is really good.

But the best is always made right here at home!

LonePine

well I finally had some BBQ worthy of posting in this thread, and not because it was good. 2 Brothers - in Ballground..... the worst pile of pulled oven roasted almost dehydrated pork I have ever tried. It was slathered with some funky liquid that was supposed to be sauce, and some kinda slop that was called Brunswick Stew. I dont know how they stay open, cost an arm & a leg too.

the best BBQ in this area is hands down at Bigguns! I've tried nearly the whole menu and it never disappoints!

This is the absolute truth. I tried 2 Brothers one day after doing some work at a nearby hunting property. The BBQ is just plain awful unless you like dry, roasted, tasteless pork. I'm not even sure that they have a pit on site as I've never seen smoke coming from the building. The shocking thing is that it was pretty packed when I was there. Most everyone was over the age of 80 but I was amazed that these folks would continue to eat there.

Also right on Bigguns. Place is great and everything I've ever had there was top notch.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
We leave a lot of money at Country's Barbecue in Columbus....

I really like the one on Mercury Drive. The one in North Columbus is alright but not as good. Never ate at the other one.

Tom W.

We usually eat at the one on Broadway, probably because it's just over a mile from the house...

Sometimes we'll be headed to Speakeasy and when we park I'll get a whiff of the smoke from Country's and that's all it takes........

LTZ25

I agree. Not sure the reason many have called it "bad" or such on here. It would be nice if folks would outline their reasoning when giving a bad review. To me Fresh Air is extra well done pork with good bark, smoke flavor and chopped up kind of fine. You add your own sauce to it and some of the sauces are a little too salty, which I have commented on.

The appeal, IMO, of the the location in Jackson is that it is obviously a traditional outdoors BBQ cooking facility from many decades ago and they probably walled up the inside dining area some years ago due to customer demand. You park up the hill from it and the great smell mixed with "fresh air" rises to greet you as soon as you step out of the car.
I’ve been there and I like it .

tr21

early on I said shorty's bbq in fortson, just north of Columbus. for many turkey seasons I ate there every day. well this year Roy sold it and the new owners have screwed up a good thing, the meat is greasy and nasty, then they went and changed the stew so bad we didn't even finish it ( I bet we didn't go there 5 times in the 4 weeks we were there and wont go back) unless Roy takes it back over. dang shame

Tom W.

That's good to know. Lori and I look at that place every time we go to Pat's Backwater grill. I suspect we will just keep on patronizing Pat's.......

tr21

That's good to know. Lori and I look at that place every time we go to Pat's Backwater grill. I suspect we will just keep on patronizing Pat's.......
yea it used to be awesome, funny thing ive never been to pat's. but have been to hunters pub, its good, try the fried lobster tails, mmmm good great steaks too

Tom W.

Pat's has some jalapeno hushpuppies to die for. Fresh made. I usually get the fried shrimp and cheese grits......

Greenhead

I've tried most of the stuff on their menu after Famous Dave's closed down. I know it sounds crazy....but that chain restaurant had some killer Q. My family loved going there every week.

Sconyer's is not a place I care to go.....but work, golf groups, etc outings have seen me there over the years.

The only meat I'll order is their smoked turkey. It's edible, at least. The rest of it...not so much. Folks say their hash is good.....I'm not a fan of hash, in general....so I can't really say.

Some of their sides are good.

Doesn't say much about a BBQ restaurant when real BBQ enthusiasts go there and just get a vegetable plate.

Maybe I'm becoming a grumpy old guy......but I simply avoid BBQ restaurants for the most part. It's something I'd rather do myself. Same thing with steaks, burgers, chicken, pizza and wings.

When we eat out and I'm able to pick the location.....it's seafood, sushi, Mexican or salads.

I haven't tried Willie Jewel's, but have heard some positive reviews.

Shane's Rib Shack is a bust.....about the only thing I'll get there is the chicken salad sammiches.
Tried Willie Jewels last week. It was awesome. Not far from there is Ohio Hog in Tyrone. It’s good. Never can go wrong with Williamson. Priced right and I live close to the one in Canton. Das BBQ on Collier Rd is good but pricey. All time favorite is Fox Bros. They guy used to own the rib ranch in Marietta owns a small meat and 3 in Keithsburg(canton) and he’s getting ready to start BBQ there. He still has the Bull that used to be out front and says he’s bringing it back as well.

QuailJunkie

If y’all have never tried Scott’s Walk Up bbq in Cartersville you’re missing out. Be prepared to wait in line