Best/worst bbq in georgia!?!?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I actually like sprayberry's sauce because i love vinegar. It will almost take your breathe away. Many years ago they had good bbq when they cooked it on the old outside pit . When i was working graveyard shift i would see the original owner in his 70's there 4:00 morning putting the meat on.

I grew up smelling distance from Sprayberry's, it is what I judge all other barbeque against. Nothing like smelling that hickory smoke on a cold winter morning. I guess it's what you grow up with that influences preference for some folks. My go to was always the Houston special, a BBQ sandwich topped with stew that you had to eat with a fork and knife and drowning in that vinegar sauce. My 97 year old grandmother and her twin sister still eat there regular.

Lindseys Grandpa

I grew up smelling distance from Sprayberry's, it is what I judge all other barbeque against. Nothing like smelling that hickory smoke on a cold winter morning. I guess it's what you grow up with that influences preference for some folks. My go to was always the Houston special, a BBQ sandwich topped with stew that you had to eat with a fork and knife and drowning in that vinegar sauce. My 97 year old grandmother and her twin sister still eat there regular.
Thru the early 90's before the City and county exploded it was a tradition that all the mover's and shakers ate lunch there on Thursday . If you were running for elected office you best be there eating with them. Some of the old timers that are left still do.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Sprayberrys BBQ has the worst pork I’ve ever tried to eat anywhere in my entire life.

You need to try Fresh Air in Athens, Bogart or Jackson. They will be first on your "worst pork" list.

Their pork tastes like it was put in a steamer raw and steamed with vinegar. Zero smoked flavor, zero bark. Just nasty wet meat.

devolve

You need to try Fresh Air in Athens, Bogart or Jackson. They will be first on your "worst pork" list.

Their pork tastes like it was put in a steamer raw and steamed with vinegar. Zero smoked flavor, zero bark. Just nasty wet meat.
That’s sounds like a terrible idea. ?

Big Foot

Sherry’s bait and BBQ on 53 outside Gainesville- my goto!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor

??

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Three Beards. Not sure where they are out of but I had some in Cook County at the fireworks over the weekend. They don’t have a restraint they just sell it out of a trailer and do catering. Excellent stuff.

CroMagnum

Freash Air in Jackson
Pippins in McDonough
These are the best I have tried.
I hear Bart Hammock in Locust Grove is good but haven't tried it.He only sales take out.
The Pippin's in Conyers is horrible. Tastes like someone baked a Boston butt in the oven with no seasoning at all. Don't even talk about no smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Is Country's still open? I haven't been there in years. Used to be good though
Yep. Country’s is still open and doing well. The one on Mercury Drive is the best one. We like to go on Saturday night and hear the bluegrass band play.

Last edited:

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Hot Thomas in Watkinsville is closing for good Saturday.:cry: H22 is going by today for pulled pork and stew. :rockon:

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Hot Thomas in Watkinsville is closing for good Saturday.:cry: H22 is going by today for pulled pork and stew. :rockon:

Chicken, ribs, beans, pie and stew are good. I never cared for their pork.

Sad to see them go. They are a couple miles from my new place, as the crow flies.

That leaves no real BBQ in Oconee County.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Mark says they will still do catering. So his dads bbq ain’t gone it just ain’t available by the meal now.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
H22 went by there and didn't stop. Said the cars were backed up for miles. Line to get in went way past the old house. :(
Said every police within 5 counties were all there to eat and not a one directing traffic around the jam. :cautious: