BF Grant

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
They ought rename it BF Goodrich cuz u need a set of M/Ts to get through it. Morgan County given up on the roads or what?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
They ought rename it BF Goodrich cuz u need a set of M/Ts to get through it. Morgan County given up on the roads or what?

That’s Putnam county. And since there are no other users besides the WMA and UGA they probably have pretty much abandoned the roads. UGA doesn’t pay property taxes.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
That’s Putnam county. And since there are no other users besides the WMA and UGA they probably have pretty much abandoned the roads. UGA doesn’t pay property taxes.

You’re exactly right. It is Putnam.

turkeykirk

Any trees left?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Made it hard to hunt this year deer hunting. You could ride down the road and see orange everywhere lol

I was there for the first hunt. It was pretty funny the people on top of each other. I got lucky. I only had one guy walk by my stand the last day.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
The forestry administration at UGA are not worried about the wildlife on their land.
Money Money Money is their agenda.

cowhornedspike

Was turkey hunting (quota) there last year and got run out by the logging equip. I'd be surprised it there are any trees left the way they were going...

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
The Heart of BF Grant has been ripped out and tossed on the ground stomped on and burned to the forest floor below grade.
If they Was a deer in BF Grant it’s not in Putnam county now.
Maybe about 2031 it’ll be back to a third of what it was.
Take the first public quality buck regulations property ever inside the United States of America to implement trophy regulations and clear cut 90% of the heart and burn the other 40% even lower.
Genius!!!
Maybe since we can see so much further now we could triple the quota to 1200 like minded folks for 3 bucks worth being killed yu each year

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
^^^^^^^
And remember this.
This land is where UGA is teaching our future foresters. ?
Even our best is two bits too millinial. Were doomed after allowing corn as bait anywhere that’s private.
Selling of parcels of Bf grant fast as it sells.
I knew then they haven’t a clue about sound management priceables err princeapples or is it principles. Doesn’t matter.
Get your lifetime license here.
It’ll take you a lifetime to use it.
That or just buy some Bf grant!!!!:unsure:

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
At the risk of upsetting a few of you, Forest Resource Management and Wildlife Management are two different animals. Don’t get me wrong, I hate to see BF Grant butchered away as well. I don’t think that’s what it was intended for. I also can’t for the life of me understand why so much clearcutting has gone on during periods of such low stumpage prices. Some sections of BF Grant are prime examples of how to manage for wildlife. They actually spent money to improve some areas. Good money. And then adjacent to those areas are premature clearcuts. Big ones. SMH.

cowhornedspike

But.. but.. but.. UGA people know the most about wildlife management and that cutting and burning don't hurt the game populations...especially turkeys...just ask Dr. Chamberlain...

ucfireman

Don't know much about UGA forestry etc but wasn't it an "experimental forest"?
I hate seeing it clear cut.
Hopefully they will replant (they did at Clybel and looking good now) or at least let the hardwoods re sprout.
If so the deer will return.
Will never be a pretty forest in my lifetime but should hold deer. .
If they are selling it off, maybe the state should be purchasing it, just my 0.02.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Don't know much about UGA forestry etc but wasn't it an "experimental forest"?
I hate seeing it clear cut.
Hopefully they will replant (they did at Clybel and looking good now) or at least let the hardwoods re sprout.
If so the deer will return.
Will never be a pretty forest in my lifetime but should hold deer. .
If they are selling it off, maybe the state should be purchasing it, just my 0.02.

It was. It was also an experiment to grow mature deer. I’m sure they’ll replant. And there is no lack of deer on Grant. Quaity deer at that. Turkeys is now a different story. If a whitetail deers main travel corridor is through a forest and that forest gets clearcut, the deer will maintain that travel corridor. Turkeys hit the road the minute the cutter backs off the lowboy.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
It was. It was also an experiment to grow mature deer. I’m sure they’ll replant. And there is no lack of deer on Grant. Quaity deer at that. Turkeys is now a different story. If a whitetail deers main travel corridor is through a forest and that forest gets clearcut, the deer will maintain that travel corridor. Turkeys hit the road the minute the cutter backs off the lowboy.
You haven’t driven through BFGrant have you?
There is no way possible all those deer will maintain their original travel corridors.
You can see miles when before you couldn’t see past two feet off the roads.
CLEARCUT MILES WIDE.
Nothing live standing.
Ridiculous to do what they did.
They didn’t stop sawing for the rifle quota hunts either so the hunter is left without a climbable tree for at least 15 years. Who cares what they replant. My Bfgrant huntin career is done. ✅

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
You haven’t driven through BFGrant have you?
There is no way possible all those deer will maintain their original travel corridors.
You can see miles when before you couldn’t see past two feet off the roads.
CLEARCUT MILES WIDE.
Nothing live standing.
Ridiculous to do what they did.
They didn’t stop sawing for the rifle quota hunts either so the hunter is left without a climbable tree for at least 15 years. Who cares what they replant. My Bfgrant huntin career is done. ✅

I was there Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday until I finally killed a bird. I was there the day after Christmas shooting wood ducks. I was there for the first rifle hunt. I’m familiar. Contrary to popular belief, clearcuts are not the devil. They provide an overwhelming supply of early successional herbs and forbes. Logging don’t bother deer. I’ve killed many sitting on a TigerCat loader after the crew went home for the day. I don’t agree with logging during quota hunts though. As for climbable trees, brother, you’ll soon be poop out of luck on Grant. :ROFLMAO:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
You see they bird hunters is to the good lets see the quota numbers for BUCKS this year and next. I promise the turkeys don’t have a problem with BfGrant but BIG BUCKs do.