Big Bear Poached

Joe Brandon

Any of yall see that huge 600 +- bear that was poached in Grady County? Huge bear, beautiful healthy male. Unfortunate it was poached.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Not seen it.

The guy tried to call it in thinking he had made a legal kill.

Does it sound an honest mistake? Was it over bait? At night? Or did the hunter forget to wear an orange vest? All punishable by extreme fines and penalties in the Great State of Georgia! I bet he might even get a slap on the wrist this time.

bilgerat

Senior
Does it sound an honest mistake? Was it over bait? At night? Or did the hunter forget to wear an orange vest? All punishable by extreme fines and penalties in the Great State of Georgia! I bet he might even get a slap on the wrist this time.
I dont think Grady is a legal county for bear

It`s not. None of the Southwest Georgia counties have a bear season.

Ignorance is no excuse for the law, but I'd be willing to bet if he called to report the kill they might go lenient on him/her.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Ignorance is no excuse for the law, but I'd be willing to bet if he called to report the kill they might go lenient on him/her.
Doubt it. A guy killed one in Putnam several years ago claiming it attacked him and called it in. DNR investigation proved otherwise. This county not open for bear either. He paid a heavy fine.

chrislibby88

Doubt it. A guy killed one in Putnam several years ago claiming it attacked him and called it in. DNR investigation proved otherwise. This county not open for bear either. He paid a heavy fine.
There’s a difference in being ignorant of the regulations (attempting to call in and tag a bear) and killing one, lying that it “attacked” you. The whole attack lie shows that he knew it was illegal, and tried to cover his tracks.

Joe Brandon

Anyone have any idea of his age based on his size and teeth in the photo? Also @Nicodemus what do you reckon he was eating over there near you and is there a decent bear population there or figure he was passing by?

Last edited: