Big boar caught in trap

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
We had to jack him up the side of a tree to get him on my 4 wheeler. He pulled the scales to just over #200

sleepr71

Good job on catching a big one & you are correct...those older ones do not like going in a trap! It usually takes some Honey Buns,or Donuts to lure them in :biggrin2:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Good job on catching a big one & you are correct...those older ones do not like going in a trap! It usually takes some Honey Buns,or Donuts to lure them in :biggrin2:
We put some Big&J hog juice in 4 different traps with corn. This is the only trap that caught anything over 2 nites. Not sure if the juice helped or hindered our efforts

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Dang that’s a big ole pig! That trap set up is sweet too! I think those posts being so close together is the only thing that kept him from destroying that trap and keeping him there! That’s one stout circle:rockon:

Have you tried a corral type door?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Dang that’s a big ole pig! That trap set up is sweet too! I think those posts being so close together is the only thing that kept him from destroying that trap and keeping him there! That’s one stout circle:rockon:

Have you tried a corral type door?
He was trying to jump the fence when we walked up. Had the inside all tore up. No,we’ve got 5-6 corral traps on the property and there’s guillotine doors on all of them. We keep a feeder running close by to keep them in the area. This one has a 5 gallon bucket feeder to that slings corn inside the trap. We pin the doors up and let them come and go when not in use. We’ve caught hundreds of pigs in them over the years

Tugboat1

Getter done Mike. There's brewers mash at my camp if you can use it, help yourself. Naked and afraid

308-MIKE

"You don't catch the big ones very often in traps"

Must be from tsun!

jammeri5

Good looking trap and pig. Mine is the same design with t post and the door. My mistake was making it to big. Pigs have a chance to get up some speed to jump and ram the sides. I’ve lost a couple like that.

DLH_Woodstock

Hey Mguthie
I agree that's a good looking trap. Can you tell us how you built it and what not to build? Jammeri5 said he made his too big, so I though you might give us your thought? I haven't gotten any pictures of hogs on our club but my neighbor has so I am looking into building one.
Thanks

longrangedog

They back up to get a running start and jump when they get to the side. If they can get a leg on top or over the top then they're out and gone. Happened three times in my trap- all three when I drove up beside the trap which provides extra motivation to the hog. I have a shotgun ready when I drive or walk up to trapped hogs. They don't climb (like we climb ladders) because they can't. This hog trap wire was too high or the hog was too heavy is why he didn't "climb" out.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Good looking trap and pig. Mine is the same design with t post and the door. My mistake was making it to big. Pigs have a chance to get up some speed to jump and ram the sides. I’ve lost a couple like that.
Hey Mguthie
I agree that's a good looking trap. Can you tell us how you built it and what not to build? Jammeri5 said he made his too big, so I though you might give us your thought? I haven't gotten any pictures of hogs on our club but my neighbor has so I am looking into building one.
Thanks
we use 3 panels of hog fence. We got it at tractor supply. We get the door anchored in place,attach one panel to the side of the door and bend it into an arch. Over lap the next panel and wire them together. Bend that one into an arch and do the same with the last panel anchoring it to the other side of the door. You can adjust the panels into a circle and start driving posts. You can’t use to many. I think we used 40 on the last one we built. For the door, I rip down a piece of 5/4 deck board 2” and sandwich it in between 2 2x4’s providing a groove for the door to slide in. Attach a cable to the top of the door and through a small pulley or eye hook. Attach a 16” piece of rebar to the end. We drive 2 pieces of rebar in the ground at the back of the trap to hook that on.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
2C1BE53B-1DCB-4330-9FDC-59407D3B57BE.jpeg
This is the door I built recently. It’s a little different than the one we caught that pig in. I used a piece of 3/4 subfloor osb for the door and painted it.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
We also drilled 2 holes under the door when it was raised to pin it up when not in use.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
How many panels did you use. This pig was trying to jump out when we walked up. He definitely tested the fence

Gator89

We used to put 2 x 12 boards around the top, laid flat, secured to keep the hog from pushing it up.

Most of these traps used "landing mats" for the sides, but you don't see that laying around anymore, most has either been scrapped or rusted away.