Big bore AR-15 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf, 450 bushmaster

Camo6250

I'm looking for a heaving grain <175yard heavy brush deer gun. I like my AR-15 and really like the AR platform. out of the 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf, and the 450 Bushmaster what are yalls thoughts. Cost of ammo isn't an option as it won't be a plinker. Only for hunting. I was going to get a 45-70 but would rather have an auto and like I said...I like the AR platform. I'm using the 444 marlin and the 45-70 as a comparison. Thanks.

whiskerz

.50 beowolf . I have a friend who has one . You will learn to reload and chase brass . It really is a 150 yard and in gun . That said I got a 45-70 , the 45-70 is much more versatile and can be loaded from mild to shoulder killing

DYI hunting

I love the .458 SOCOM, and it makes one heck of a 10 inch SBR if you have a stamp. Remember if you are building one yourself the upper had to be machined some.

I hunt with a 6.8 SBR now with a 12 inch barrel. I am pushing 2900 FPS with 85 grain TSX but would love a big thumper.

chuckdog

I have a 16" 450 Bushmaster. I chose the 450 over the other big bore AR platform calibers because It uses the same bullet diameter as my old .454 Casull and the 45 Colt. I have a plethora of bullets on hand, and it shoots em' great. Handloading for it is like loading the biggest 45 ACP you've ever loaded. It headspaces on the case mouth just like the ACP, so you use a taper crimp. It's incredibly accurate and the recoil isn't bad at all. I been loading some of the leverlution bullets with great results too. I also have a 6.8 spc. I haven't had a chance to hunt with either, but I have every confidence both will be very effective on the "Dastardly Whitetail."