Big Creeks

Buckman18

I never do in the mountains, but i do in south GA. But i may change... I went several very good days of hunting up top and didnt see much, despite very good sign. I was texting Treecutter who had been having luck over water... makes sense with the drought. No matter how much ive seen or how many a man kills, theres always something new to learn and someone new to learn it from. Another reason the bear forum is the best...

splatek

UAEC
I never do in the mountains, but i do in south GA. But i may change... I went several very good days of hunting up top and didnt see much, despite very good sign. I was texting Treecutter who had been having luck over water... makes sense with the drought. No matter how much ive seen or how many a man kills, theres always something new to learn and someone new to learn it from. Another reason the bear forum is the best...

^^^^ That right there, from such an accomplished hunter, is the best thing I could've read as a new hunter. Man, that's really insightful and it's great to hear that the guys who know how to do it also have to adapt and change and think about the conditions. I've been reading a lot about deer hunting, as well, and sometimes what I read sounds like it's gospel, until the other day I was listening to something and someone was talking specifically about hunting deer in the southeast and started talking about the specifics of our terrain, varied weather, etc and something clicked about playing things like a drought, or rain, or whatever... This forum is the best!

ScarFoot

Hunt very close to one almost every year. When the rain comes it is very loud during drought it does talk much of anything. Had luck during both times seeing sign an sighting with a kill.
You fellas think the bear are staying closer to water down low and heading up to feed later in the evenings/night
when it's cooling off?

tree cutter 08

I usually don't like hunting around big creeks but it's paid off before. I like small creeks and spring heads are the best. Like whitetail says, you got to be where the sign is and where they want and need to be.

tree cutter 08

You fellas think the bear are staying closer to water down low and heading up to feed later in the evenings/night
when it's cooling off?
That's what I've always thought and seen. Seen a lot from 11 to 2 feeding then moving to water after that.

ScarFoot

Do they use the same trail to water and make a path that's obvious? Like a where they are feeding? There is a spring on the map about 1/2 mile from an area I'm finding good feeding sign, gonna try and get there and have a look.

tree cutter 08

Usually won't be a beat down trail like on top of the ridge. Drop off the side and look for scat. That's usually a good indication of where there going. Usually can tell also just by there tracks what direction there going. If your not seeing anything on the feeding sign and there's still plenty of food and the winds been good I'd move and do some still hunting around the springs or creeks. Usually those spots won't have as good of winds so if you don't stay moving with the wind in your favor your just wasting time.

GAbullHunter

when it's cooling off?
I've seen em feeding high in the mornings as well, you can sometimes find a good trail crossing a small creek branch or such, like you would see them cross the old forestry roads.

Latest posts