BIG Effingham buck

Well it all started by getting invited to a end of the year dog hunt by a buddy of mine. Had several good drives that morning with several deer being killed by other standers. After lunch we went to the other side of the hunting club’s tract of land. Several packs of dogs had already ran deer in circles and to other standers, so the dog men told us (standers) to move down the road a piece and he was going to turn the dogs lose on the other side of us. Well he turned out the dogs and when they jumped the deer, they headed straight to where I was just standing! (500 yards away) So I took off running and when I got just about to where I was originally standing, I stopped, and could hear the deer coming through the swamp. I held my gun up in the road and when the bucknhit the road, I shot. He front flipped and that was when I seen how GIANT he was! He regained his footing and kept going. Shot a pine tree on the 2nd shot, must’ve been looking at horns on the 3rd shot because I hit him in the horns with a pellet, and the 4th shot he fell again. There’s nothing like experiencing the tradition of hunting deer with dogs.E150426B-CCDE-4468-989B-84D0BB8D8CCF.jpeg46C22C0B-0B6B-4123-8188-9A30DE6112AD.jpeg

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fine looking deer and good story. He was probable trying to sneak out.

Gator89

No better rush in the deer woods than the dogs coming your way and you hear the brush start snapping, water splashing, etc. and it turn out to be a nice buck to shoot.

Thanks for sharing.

walkinboss01

Very nice buck. Congrats!!!

Dreamer69

Awesome deer and nice buck for sure. Always good to see deer dogging bucks on here. I used to live near Effingham and worked there for several years. Moved away and now drive 2 hours to dog hunt every weekend. Its just in the blood.

Tadder

CONGRATS, never been on a deer dog hunt but that sure sounds fun. We stand hunt here in NEGA bow hunt mainly too , might be a little hard hitten one with a bow and dogs on his tail LOL.:)