Bird dog finds chanterelles

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Not exactly in the woods, however.
Finally had some rain in my spots and it was easy pickings. I held back and stopped at about 3 lbs. The penalty for mushroom greed is having to clean them and wishing you didn't pick so many.
These were nice sized chants. Fourteen weighed almost 3/4 of a pound. (bowl tared out). Used the ones in the bowl for pasta last night. I made a butter, a little flour with heavy cream sauce added to a sauteed banana scallion and the chopped chants. Man, alive, was that good. Gil

Attachments

• chant 2 082820.jpg
    chant 2 082820.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 128
  • chant 082820.jpg
    chant 082820.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 130

Hillbilly stalker

A good haul...a good dog.... and a good Opinel mushroom knife. Man your living the high life ! (y)

Reactions: GLS

tad1

Man alive! We’ve been killing the chants in the piedmont too! A neighbor had a gluttonous haul and I took nearly 3 lbs. off him! Tomorrow I plan to pair them with a rare seared venison loin.

GLS

My daughter worked a year in France and brought me the knife in 2013. Before that, she taught me the ropes of foraging for mushrooms. The extent of Abby and Willa eating left overs is through participation in our dishwasher's canine scrubbing cycle. Abby has a black belt in counter surfing and I think must have persuaded Willa to allow her to stand on her back to reach food I think is out of her normal reach when I'm not in the kitchen. Even a good dog will do that.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Fine gathering right there. Looking good, Gil.

Reactions: GLS

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Very nice chants

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is a most excellent haul of one of nature's finest gifts!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That’s a nice haul. How do you clean yours? I used the air compressor, but still had grit.

GLS

Advising against washing them as appears in several online and print sources involves authors who don't mind chewing sandpaper or probably don't have experience with wild mushrooms harvested anywhere I do. The theory is that the mushrooms if washed absorb too much water ruining the taste. Alton Brown debunked this theory by washing and weighing and comparing weight to the mushrooms before washing and there was minimal differences in weight and no flavor lost. The above is three sentences too long from the point: Wash the cussed things, one at a time under streaming cold water in the kitchen sink. A soft bristled tooth brush helps, but I mostly use my thumb for the top of the cap and stem. After washing, I lay them on a tea cloth for an hour or two before storing in the fridge or cooking. Don't seal them in a plastic bag or tub. A paper bag is good. I sometimes put them in a quart yogurt container but cover with a paper towel. Excess moisture will escape and not deteriorate the mushrooms if they can "breathe." They will stay fresh for a week or so but are usually cooked before that much time runs. I used to not wash before storing thinking that the washing accelerated deterioration. I have found that not to be so. Gil

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Advising against washing them as appears in several online and print sources involves authors who don't mind chewing sandpaper or probably don't have experience with wild mushrooms harvested anywhere I do. The theory is that the mushrooms if washed absorb too much water ruining the taste. Alton Brown debunked this theory by washing and weighing and comparing weight to the mushrooms before washing and there was minimal differences in weight and no flavor lost. The above is three sentences too long from the point: Wash the cussed things, one at a time under streaming cold water in the kitchen sink. A soft bristled tooth brush helps, but I mostly use my thumb for the top of the cap and stem. After washing, I lay them on a tea cloth for an hour or two before storing in the fridge or cooking. Don't seal them in a plastic bag or tub. A paper bag is good. I sometimes put them in a quart yogurt container but cover with a paper towel. Excess moisture will escape and not deteriorate the mushrooms if they can "breathe." They will stay fresh for a week or so but are usually cooked before that much time runs. I used to not wash before storing thinking that the washing accelerated deterioration. I have found that not to be so. Gil
I agree completely I wash the beejeezus out of my shrooms, both wild ones and store bought. It doesn't hurt them at all. I am not a fan of chewing and eating dirt.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I blew off he chants using my air compressor and I will wash the next load. They were gritty and disappointing to say the least.....lesson learned.

GLS

Just when I think there won't be anymore flushes, 2 inches of rain and 65 degree nights prove me wrong. Just shy of 2 lbs. today in a downpour. Never thought I'd be finding them two weeks from Thanksgiving.

IMG_20201112_152657.jpg