Bird Dog Training Area's

across the river

I have never stated that I think The DNR can waive a magic wand and we will have a quail mecca over night. I am quite sure it takes time . In fact many yrs. And yes I am familiar with area I referenced inTX. I was stationed at Sheppard AFB. Since you stated that you are not against habitat improvement on public land then why cant money generated be used for this. This would be some sort of progress. Yes I am aware of national support organizations and I belong to them.

“Many years” to do what? Again, what are you expecting? If guys with unlimited money with all their land “pooled” together can’t easily do it, what is the DNR going to do with no money and scattered WMAs, many of which the state doesn’t even own the land to cut/burn, etc...... I’m still at a loss on what people think the DNR can do. If they sell a stamp and generate 3 million a year for 20 years, what would you expect to have available in 20 years? 5 million for 50 years, what does that get you?

I love to duck hunt, and 20 years ago I used to kill a good number of ducks on public land in Georgia. Not because of anything the DNR had done, but just because there was enough habitat and few enough people hunting them that you could get it done. Those days are gone on public ground? Can you still kill ducks on public, yes. Is it like it was when I was in my 20s, no. It was still Georgia, so it wasn’t easy back then, but the birds didn’t get pressured like they did now. People complain all the time about there not being ducks. I view it the same way. The DNR could spend millions per year on waterfowl improvements and they will never have enough opportunity for all of the demand. The public land in states west of here are much better for ducks(most years), because the private land on it pulls more ducks each year. The flyways arent where they are because the DNR in those states have a duck stamp. You just have to be realistic about what the government can provide, which is never enough for everybody regardless of what you are talking about.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I found a covey on a WMA last year and shot two birds out of it I spent the rest of season looking for woodcock. Right before season went out I decided to see if my pup could find the birds just for training. Two guys stopped at my truck as I was letting out and said they musta killed all the birds in there cause they hadn’t found any the past two weeks. I went ahead and let my pup out and we spent two hours and didn’t find any quail
I said all that just to make a point that no matter what we want on public ground the greedy will destroy the birds in the first week.

Beagle Stace

Oh boy was thinking this morning and this forum at times seems like a bad episode of the masked singer. I feel at times like I may know who the person commenting is but afraid to guess lol. Would it not be nice if we could all meet one day and reveal identities? And perhaps with ALL the collective knowledge make a positive impact and influence for the future of bird hunting in Ga. Maybe someone here has direct contacts that can influence change? I am willing to come to the table for change.

coachdoug87

Absolutely. I don't think any of us are naive enough to think there is some quick fix that will make it like it was 50 years ago, but it is not hopeless. There are things that can be done to improve the situation. There are some good things going on already with quail forever etc.

spring

I have never stated that I think The DNR can waive a magic wand and we will have a quail mecca over night. I am quite sure it takes time . In fact many yrs. And yes I am familiar with area I referenced inTX. I was stationed at Sheppard AFB. Since you stated that you are not against habitat improvement on public land then why cant money generated be used for this. This would be some sort of progress. Yes I am aware of national support organizations and I belong to them.

Here's are lots of other chances to volunteer as well as train your dogs:

IMG_6830.jpg

Last edited:

spring

That would be awesome, but I cant make it to the training sessions. They should do a virtual one, or do one around Atlanta.

Probably unlikely that the quail management people will be going to Atlanta, but I’m sure they could give you some insight into the process if you contacted them. Should be a good time for people that enjoy the outdoors, support public land hunting, and want to get their dogs on some birds.
Hope you’re able to do it!

Last edited:

spring

Thanks for posting this.

I hope it helps you out. Considering it has been suggested that in Georgia there are few options for a free place to train a dog on public land that has well-managed habitat, it's good to see that in this case, there are 9 different opportunities for exactly that.

spring

You've got to admire the volunteers pictured below that are getting their training to help monitor and count covey calls on WMAs.
I was spending time with Tall Timber's Clay Sisson yesterday, and the effort to improve our wild bird populations needs a lot of us.

121672371_640601996613428_8360899965274685824_n.jpg