Bird reduction numbers

gadeerwoman

Was reading recently about the big reduction in the numbers of birds of many varieties. Bobwhite quail numbers down 80%. One thing I had noticed years ago was the vast reduction in meadowlarks. When I was young it was not unusual to see flocks of several hundred in the big pecan tree in my back yard. I haven't seen a single one in almost 50 years. Brown thrashers? Can't remember the last time I saw one. I was mentioning bats to a friend a few years ago. We used to see swarms of them around outside lights after dark when I was growing up. Haven't seen a single one around my outside lights in years. In the past few years I've seen a drastic reduction in the number of crows. Even the number of blue jays and mocking birds seem to be a third or less of what they were just 10 years ago. I'm sure the increased use of pesticides has been one major cause. Anyone else noticed the decrease in crow numbers?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I see less than 10 meadow larks a year nowadays, unlike when I was a youngun and the fields would be covered with them. As for everything else you mentioned, there are more than a gracious plenty of all of them around here.

A few others I know longer see in any quantity, honey bees and hornets. Been a long time since I`ve seen a hornet nest, and I`ve only seen one wild hive of honeybees in a long time. The swarms I used to see every summer have disappeared.

crackerdave

I miss the quail the most.I think because they nest on the ground,the super-abundant ants eat them as they hatch.Also a big reduction of habitat because of modern farming practices.
I have noticed a big reduction in the numbers of birds in general.Could it be ants eating their hatchlings,too? What can stop the ants? It looks like ants and wild or feral hogs are going to take over!

Last edited:

Geno67

Widespread use of pesticides would be the number one killer if I had to guess. USDA would probably be second with it's operations against bird damage (again, just a guess).

USDA kills over a million animals that it reports each year. The actual numbers are thought to be higher than the reported numbers. USDA killed 624,845 red-winged blackbirds in 2017 alone that they reported. That number was over 4 million blackbirds in 2009. I suspect they are running out of birds to kill as we never see large flocks of blackbirds any more.

"While the USDA keeps tabs on the number of birds the program euthanizes, the total death toll isn't known because private contractors operating under the depredation order aren't required to keep count in the case of blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles, and starlings."

"Depredation order from the US Fish and Wildlife Service allows blackbirds, grackles, and starlings to be killed by anyone who says they pose health risks or cause economic damage."

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Socie...DA-acknowledges-a-hand-in-one-mass-bird-death

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Your right about the Meadow-larks. Cant remember seeing one in a long time.

The others I have in my yard daily.

On the flip side,
I had a pair of redheaded woodpeckers nest in my front yard. They are now utilizing my feeder. I know where 2 other pairs are in town. Ive lived here since 1985. Never seen them before last year. In an old bird book I was reading it said the population crashed across its range for unknown reasons.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Around here, quail are about gone now and grouse numbers are down. I don't see nearly as many meadowlarks. But, crows and bluejays by the millions, lots of brown thrashers. Bats have declined greatly, I think Whitenose disease is the problem with them. Whippoorwills are almost gone here now too, as are nighthawks. Lots more hawks and lots more turkeys than there used to be.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Around here, quail are about gone now and grouse numbers are down. I don't see nearly as many meadowlarks. But, crows and bluejays by the millions, lots of brown thrashers. Bats have declined greatly, I think Whitenose disease is the problem with them. Whippoorwills are almost gone here now too, as are nighthawks. Lots more hawks and lots more turkeys than there used to be.
Grouse numbers are down because of habitat. Until they allow large scale clear cutting on national forest land the population will continue to decline.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Grouse numbers are down because of habitat. Until they allow large scale clear cutting on national forest land the population will continue to decline.
It's not just that. It's part of it, but it's the same on private land with excellent habitat. I used to could walk behind my house and jump half a dozen grouse in an hour. You would see them in the road pecking grit all the time. Now, even in areas with timber cutting and good, brushy successional habitat, there still are almost no grouse. And, thirty years ago, in those same uncut deep woods, you would still see and hear quite a few grouse.

Geno67

1 degree c is not enough for me to think warming would cause much of a difference. If it's even 1 degree c (can't really tell with all the data being jacked around).

SwampMoss

My mom has been complaining about hawks catching the birds in her yard. She quite feeding the birds because of the hawks catching them. I have noticed more birds of prey lately. Could this be a factor?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m still seeing plenty of birds of all types. Birds have a preferred habitat and if you don’t go there your sightings of that particular bird would be less. Seeing plenty of field larks in the pastures around here along with several coveys of quail. No grouse here in middle Ga.

Big7

The Oracle
I miss the quail the most.I think because they nest on the ground,the super-abundant ants eat them as they hatch.Also a big reduction of habitat because of modern farming practices.
I have noticed a big reduction in the numbers of birds in general.Could it be ants eating their hatchlings,too? What can stop the ants? It looks like ants and wild or feral hogs are going to take over!

I'm with you on that Dave. I'd also remind everyone, wild Quail are hard to find here, just north of I-20. There used to be a bunch. To the point you could kick them up or find a sandy lane and pop one out of the mighty .410. Might get 2 or 3 at the time that way.

Man, I loved being a young kid with the mighty .410..

Anyhooo.. I'm betting, because I've seen it first hand- they get crossed up with pen raised Quail. That makes them stooopppiiiddd. Dumb as a fence post.

All that you mentioned is true as well. To bad those "plantation" birds get loose and cross.

PS.. Hunting a stupid, pen raised Quail is not hinting. That's shooting. Might as well shoot some yard chicken. Any idiot can "shoot" a pen raised Quail. Sometimes, put out the night before, possibly just an hour or or two before sunrise.

Sorry.. Rant Over. ?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Widespread use of pesticides would be the number one killer if I had to guess. USDA would probably be second with it's operations against bird damage (again, just a guess).

USDA kills over a million animals that it reports each year. The actual numbers are thought to be higher than the reported numbers. USDA killed 624,845 red-winged blackbirds in 2017 alone that they reported. That number was over 4 million blackbirds in 2009. I suspect they are running out of birds to kill as we never see large flocks of blackbirds any more.

"While the USDA keeps tabs on the number of birds the program euthanizes, the total death toll isn't known because private contractors operating under the depredation order aren't required to keep count in the case of blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles, and starlings."

"Depredation order from the US Fish and Wildlife Service allows blackbirds, grackles, and starlings to be killed by anyone who says they pose health risks or cause economic damage."

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Socie...DA-acknowledges-a-hand-in-one-mass-bird-death
The USDA kills them for specific reasons

For example if killing three times that many blackbirds keeps one airplane from crashing it’s more than fine by me

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
If you talk to the old guys who grew up like BIG7 did. They all talk about how fun it was to walk out the door after school and go kick up a few quail.

If you ask them about land back then. The answer becomes apparent. There were lots of row crops. And there were hedge rows between most fields. When row cropping left so did the quail.

The study above seems to say the same thing about the meadowlarks. Replace the fields with pine trees. No Habitat for them to live in.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If you talk to the old guys who grew up like BIG7 did. They all talk about how fun it was to walk out the door after school and go kick up a few quail.

If you ask them about land back then. The answer becomes apparent. There were lots of row crops. And there were hedge rows between most fields. When row cropping left so did the quail.

The study above seems to say the same thing about the meadowlarks. Replace the fields with pine trees. No Habitat for them to live in.
It’s hard to raise quail on endophyte infected fescue around here