Bird reduction numbers

oldguy

House sparrows compete with blue birds for nest boxes in some places. Pull out the sparrow nest. Put bread crums on the box top. Sparrow starts eating crums. Replace crumbs and a baited mouse trap. No mo' sparrow. #11/2 coil spring in an owl/duck box works wonders for sqewrels too!

Geno67

I should trap them I guess but I don't have many. If they start nesting in my setup they get the high powered bb gun.

Geno67

The rain seems as if it will never quit.

saltysenior

I have tried to research and find a reason for Turkey decline in the past few years...seems all ground nesting birds are in a major decline..ground doves , whippoorwills , snipe , woodcocks are a few not mentioned in this thread

saltysenior

Blame it on the hogs and armadillos!!
hogs and armadillos ain't everywhere...theories about this problem do not hold water in all areas ...the only things that I came across that exist in all areas are disease ,raccoons , and birds of prey

oldguy

hogs and armadillos ain't everywhere...theories about this problem do not hold water in all areas ...the only things that I came across that exist in all areas are disease ,raccoons , and birds of prey
Wasn't really proposing a theory 'bout the hogs and 'dillos - they're just handy scape goats. Sorry 'bout trying to be funny... Won't happen - (maybe).

saltysenior

Wasn't really proposing a theory 'bout the hogs and 'dillos - they're just handy scape goats. Sorry 'bout trying to be funny... Won't happen - (maybe).

It's just that folks, including those who get paid to know , always blame an occurrence that happens in their state or section of the U.S. ...this bird problem is going on thru most of the Country

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Habitat destruction and decline in insects. Our use of pesticides, urbans sprawl, clean farming and commercial timber practices all contribute to the decline in birds. Probably the most overlooked issue is the decline in insects. We like our yards, gardens, homes and pretty much everything else to be as insect free as possible. The problem is, insects and all the other small creatures we lump into the category of "bugs" make up a huge portion of any food chain. Many plants need them to reproduce not to mention all the animals that "bugs" make up an important part of their diet (at some stage of their lives pretty much every single bird falls into this category). Nature is a very complex puzzle that we are learning about every day, and like any puzzle, when you remove a piece or two...you can not complete it.