Birds and Amdro???

Oldstick

I put out some the other day around several ant mounds and for the last couple days there have been blackbirds congregating around and they appear to be eating it. I don't know what else could be attracting them to those particular spots. I don't see any keeling over dead though. :huh: :huh:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I put out some the other day around several ant mounds and for the last couple days there have been blackbirds congregating around and they appear to be eating it. I don't know what else could be attracting them to those particular spots. I don't see any keeling over dead though. :huh: :huh:
Bunch of dead ants would attract them, maybe?

Oldstick

Bunch of dead ants would attract them, maybe?
I suppose that is a possibility. Seems like most of the amdro is gone, but the mounds still look intact with ants in them. So I put out some more amdro around them to see what happens tomorrow after the rain. Another potential possibility is they were attacking mulched up pine cone/seeds because I had mowed over a bunch of cones in the same areas. There was a also a squirrel spotted in the middle of the black bird pack a couple hours ago.

Oldstick

Right now the blackbirds are attacking all the old bread I scattered out hoping to fill them up and get them to move on and leave my amdro alone, just in case. Too bad I live in the middle of town or there would already have been some shotgun blasts to persuade them to move on.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Right now the blackbirds are attacking all the old bread I scattered out hoping to fill them up and get them to move on and leave my amdro alone, just in case. Too bad I live in the middle of town or there would already have been some shotgun blasts to persuade them to move on.
Just do it.

Oldstick

Second round, it's got to be either ants or the amdro because they are flocking right on top of the yellow stuff feasting away. Maybe I need to find some sort of "additive" for the next round of amdro.

ucfireman

I have heard most of not all birds don't have taste buds, (that's why they say put hot pepper seed in bird food) so maybe they see the yellow and think its food. Cant taste it so just eat it.

I think the bag says it does not harm worms, just insects, so maybe ok?

Oldstick

Yep, I was always under the assumption it was just some sort of sawdust like material with the ant ingredient added.

Oldstick

I have seen horses eat half a bag and show no problems.
Thanks, That is some very useful and pertinent info UCF.

PCNative

Birds (and chickens) can eat some types of poisons and it will not affect them because of their digestive system. I know for a fact some folks would feed certain types of poison to some chickens and it would not harm them but what ever killed and ate the chicken would die

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If it’s starlings double the amount of amdro and see if that helps