Biscuits

Artfuldodger

I wonder if a cat iron skillet would work better. I did learn myself from a lady who just pinched and rolled. She used a round cake pan greased with a lot of Crisco. They were kind of flat and small, not the cathead kind.

My Mama made one giant one she called a Hoe Cake. It was never as good as baked biscuits.
1599618808258.jpeg

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
3 cups White Lily SR flour, sifted. Waller a hole in the middle of the flour and place a handful of Crisco in there. Pour 3/4 cup or so of buttermilk on the Crisco and knead it til all the big chunks are gone. Slowly knead the flour into the Mixture until it starts to firm up then pat the outside of the dough with flour until it’s dry enough to handle. Pinch off a biscuit size pieces and place in a greased cast iron skillet all touching. Bake at 400 til done. Took me awhile to master it.
Both my Grandmas and momma all used the same ingredients and all had completely different biscuits. I even finally got my bride good at making them now.AA19FD35-8A29-41C4-B192-3515F30AF551.jpeg

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

I prefer the White Lily unbleached self-rising flour (tastes the best). I use a box grater and grate frozen unsalted butter into the flour, and put bowl and everything into freezer to keep ice cold while oven is heating up. I use 300 g flour with a teaspoon extra salt, and - if using buttermilk - 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (I always use buttermilk, but if we are out, I'll use regular milk), and half stick of frozen unsalted butter. Just mix with fork and put into freezer. It is critical your fat remains solid - this is the essential secret of good biscuits.

When oven is hot, add 1 cup buttermilk, a bit less if using regular milk. Mix minimally, pat to 1", cut, and bake at 450F 15 minutes or so. Makes 6 big biscuits, best I've had ANYWHERE.

Last edited:

Redbow

Anyone ever use Hog lard to make biscuits anymore? I admit I don't either but my Grandma used flour, hog lard and water. She knew how much to use of each ingredient not wrote out on a paper but in her head. Best biscuits within a country mile back than. I loved me a fat back or old country ham biscuit in the mornings.. You biscuit baking folks gonna make me gain another 10 pounds by just looking at those pictures..

oldways

I use lard in biscuits and I grease my pan with it too I killed 7 number 1's the other day and rendered out the lard and canned it kept the cracklings for bread, I don't know how much I use because I don't measure anything just know what it suppose to look like..

Triple C

Anyone ever use Hog lard to make biscuits anymore? I admit I don't either but my Grandma used flour, hog lard and water. She knew how much to use of each ingredient not wrote out on a paper but in her head. Best biscuits within a country mile back than. I loved me a fat back or old country ham biscuit in the mornings.. You biscuit baking folks gonna make me gain another 10 pounds by just looking at those pictures..
Always use lard to grease the skillet and cut into the flour.

Darien1

I used to use lard in mine but I found a recipe in Southern Living that called for frozen butter grated on a cheese grater with it going back into the freezer after grating along with the flour. Lately I have been doing the butter swim biscuit recipe going around on facebook. Check it out.

Hillbilly stalker

Y’all have done flung a craving on me. If I was on my death bed and was asked what I wanted for breakfast.......three things

Plate #1 mommas biscuits and fried apples fried in a cast iron skillet

Plate #2 would be mommas biscuits and a plate of sorghum molasses with just the right amount of butter.

Plate #3 mommas biscuits and sausage gravy.
I could just close my eyes and go out with a smile.::; Thems some fine looking biscuits y’all are showing. Make a puppy dog pull a freight train !

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I ain't a great baker but here's grandma's biscuits and sausage. Tasted almost as good as grandma's.

Sausagebiscuits.JPG

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I used to use lard in mine but I found a recipe in Southern Living that called for frozen butter grated on a cheese grater with it going back into the freezer after grating along with the flour. Lately I have been doing the butter swim biscuit recipe going around on facebook. Check it out.
I do my frozen butter like that, but also add a little lard or pour oil. Nobody likes crumbly biscuits. :p

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Freeze a stick of butter the night before and use a cheese grater to grate it into the dough before baking. It'll make you wanna slap yo Grandmama. Oops, just saw where I got beat to this little trick. Dang good biscuits!

Tight Lines

My first "real" job when I was 16 making $3.35 per hour was at McDonald's. Because I was in school and sports, I had to work nights and weekends...I became the biscuit guy on Saturday and Sunday...arrive at 5 AM, first batch out of the oven before 6 AM opening...I don't even know how many biscuits I made back in those days...10s of thousands...

Now I make them by opening the freezer and tossing them on a cookie sheet...

However, if I could make them the way my grandmother did I would...they were not the big fluffy cathead biscuits here in the south...they were denser, flatter, and smoother...looked more like a dinner role than a biscuit...but man they were good...

tv_racin_fan

My mom made the best biscuits I ever ate. I never learned how and now that she is gone that is the one thing I really really wish I had learned from her.

After she put hers in a pan she went and used a teaspoon to make a dimple in each one and filled it with about half a teaspoon of melted butter.

My wife made drop biscuits and on occasion she used mayo in the mix when she didn't have oil which she used instead of shortning. Her biscuits are dang good but they do not hold a candle to my moms.

I think my mom used the white lily recipe.

tv_racin_fan

I wonder if a cat iron skillet would work better. I did learn myself from a lady who just pinched and rolled. She used a round cake pan greased with a lot of Crisco. They were kind of flat and small, not the cathead kind.

My Mama made one giant one she called a Hoe Cake. It was never as good as baked biscuits.
View attachment 1037706

My son in law makes something similar he calls pan bread. Makes the mix a bit wetter than you would for biscuits. Cooks it in a cast iron skillet just like you would cornbread.

What we call hoe cakes is cornbread mix made thin and you make what looks like thin lacey edged pan cakes