Biscuits

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
My mom made the best biscuits I ever ate. I never learned how and now that she is gone that is the one thing I really really wish I had learned from her.

After she put hers in a pan she went and used a teaspoon to make a dimple in each one and filled it with about half a teaspoon of melted butter.

My wife made drop biscuits and on occasion she used mayo in the mix when she didn't have oil which she used instead of shortning. Her biscuits are dang good but they do not hold a candle to my moms.

I think my mom used the white lily recipe.

I make drop biscuits too but mine are seem to be a little crumbly unlike my normal buttermilk ones. Still trying to perfect the drop ones. The best I ever had came from Elizabeth's restaurant in Savannah.

tv_racin_fan

I make drop biscuits too but mine are seem to be a little crumbly unlike my normal buttermilk ones. Still trying to perfect the drop ones. The best I ever had came from Elizabeth's restaurant in Savannah.

I have never had a drop biscuit that wasn't crumbly.

huntersluck

I don't eat biscuits or most breads anymore but when I did eat biscuits the best way I found to make them is to start with good flour, AP is what I prefer and do not use crisco or lard use butter. I feel way better though health wise when I gave up most carbs I still eat a little from time to time but it is low carb bread if I do.

Best biscuit advice: don’t over work the dough, handle as little as possible. Biscuits are a ‘quick’ bread not a yeast bread... developing the gluten is NOT what you are trying to do.. go easy on the dough and it will repay you with tender biscuits

treemanjohn

Banned

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
A few from the last yr or so. When it’s a couple of us I use the small skillet for 3 biscuits. Otherwise it’s the 7 biscuit skillet I use to make cornbread. Been making these since I was in high school a long time ago.
View attachment 1097560View attachment 1097561View attachment 1097562View attachment 1097563View attachment 1097564View attachment 1097565View attachment 1097566View attachment 1097567
Those three finger marks on the top of the uncooked biscuits,that’s bonafide southern.?

glynr329

Sister makes them sometimes Cristo to grease pan a little. She use flour and whipping cream. They are light and fluffy.

Attachments

• 20211205_104133.jpg
    20211205_104133.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 26