Black Bear Guides Canada???????????

mcfay

I'm looking for advice on Black Bear Guide services in Canada.......... New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario or Manitoba. Tell me about your experience good or bad. My son and I would like to go but since it is our first experience I don't want to go in blind.. Thanks......

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Are you looking for a guide or an outfitter? There is a difference in Canada. I went 10 years ago and saw bear. It was hunting over bait barrels. It was an outfitter who showed you were the stands were and provided the bait which you had to put out each day, He had several camps each had a camp manager. Several of the friends I went with have been back to the same outfitter and have had success.

I might really consider going to Maine as the success rate seems higher.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I might add the outfitter I went with was archery only. Taking a firearm into Canada is a nightmare of paperwork.

I went to Canada years ago. Had fun but did not get a bear. Best place to get a bear in Georgia is in a club around the Okeefenokee. If you are interested message me and I will give you more information

cself

I might add the outfitter I went with was archery only. Taking a firearm into Canada is a nightmare of paperwork.
The paperwork is by no means a nightmare we went into Canada two years ago with 4 guns and going back in June this year with at least that many. To the best of my memory it's one sheet of paper and depending on how busy the border is it's also a very quick inspection at the border.

cself

Our group went to Quebec (central) in 2018 and we are returning this June. The 2018 trip 8 hunters killed 5 bears and all but one had opportunities some multiple opportunities. Our 2019 trip was cancelled because the roads were still impassable. Most of us are inexperienced so judging the size/age was not what it could be and a couple of the bears were relatively small but happy hunters none the less. We booked through Sepaq it's a state run program (first option on Google) and our particular hunt had forest worker guys who did all the baiting although the government also leases areas to outfitters if you prefer that route. For our hunt you basically rent the cabin to stay in and the guides give you a map to the bait stations and for a fee they will skin and butcher your bear. As I said before we are not experienced bear hunters but one guy killed a Pope and Young class bear and based off of looking at that bear we believe there were a total of 4 opportunities at p&y class bears. I think bigger bears can be found closer to home but for me it's a great experience and worth seeing the different wildlife/ landscape. Hope this helps and good luck.

jared1

I hunted May 2019 at Steeprock River Outfitters in Manitoba. All 7 guys in camp shot good bears. The camp was very comfortable. I really cant say anything negative about the place or the experience. Feel free to reach out to me for any questions or info.

I just got back from a Canada wolf hunt last week. The outfitter also does spring and fall bear hunts. I highly recommend him. He met me at the Timmins Ontario airport and carried me to get my license. You stay in a cabin on the lake and can fish in the middle of the day or if you tag out early. I enjoyed my trip and plan to go back on a bear hunt. Message me if you want his contact info. He is a good guy.

Ihunt

Stay away from The The Owls Nest. They don’t pay attention to wind direction and told me it didn’t matter. Maybe that’s why I didn’t see anything.

zedex

Gator Bait
Lots of opportunities on Vancouver island the island is about 300 miles long, 50 miles wide and has over 12000 black bears, the densest population of blackies in the world. Several guides in the area. Spring hunt is April 1 through june 15, fall is sept 10 through dec 10. During these times, wolf and cougar are available, too