Black bellied whistling duck in southwest ga?

cpowel10

how common are black bellied whistling ducks in southwest ga? I'm pretty sure I've been seeing a pair on the side of the road (basically a low spot with flooded willow trees).

This is the only pic I took that looks decent, he's sitting on a stump in the middle of the pic. He's hard to see but you can see his pinkish bill, and the black and white parts on his wing.

vrooom

This time of year and into about sept/oct they are pretty common in a lot of ponds and fields. They usually head out by duck season. YMMV

Core Lokt

I'm in Fl just below Thomasville and they started showing up on the lake about 3 yrs ago and in pretty big numbers. I see very few though come the regular season as mentioned. Very vocal bird when in flight too.

jritchey65

I hunted a place down on the coast last year for early teal and these ducks kept flying over and I had never seen them before or heard the sound they were making. I finally figured out that they were black bellied whistling ducks. I always enjoy seeing different birds than what I am used to.

The Fever

I'm in Fl just below Thomasville and they started showing up on the lake about 3 yrs ago and in pretty big numbers. I see very few though come the regular season as mentioned. Very vocal bird when in flight too.

Yep. Many of them around here. Very dumb bird. They are lucky they migrate so early.

CPage

I've seen them in our farm ponds, usually around July and August. As mentioned above, I've never seen them during duck season.

BBond

The state has documented them in the counties on the attached map.

If anyone has a photo of them in a county that the DNR has not documented them in please pm me.

Thanks

Attachments

• BBWD 7-8-2015.pdf
    472.9 KB · Views: 169

cracker4112

They are a welcome addition to the bag down here. When I was a kid, they were unheard of. Now, they are everywhere in south Florida, and quite a few all the way up to north Florida. They aren't really migratory, can have several broods per year apparently, and aren't afraid to live in the city. You guys up there will be pretty pleased once they get a foothold and you get to start shooting them, they are pretty delicious!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Just saw 2 about an hour ago in a cotton field mud hole down in Baker County.

DixieDawg2shot

I pretty sure I have been seeing some here in Brooks County. Couldn't figure out what it was and then I read this thread. I have some pictures but they are at a distance, you can't really tell.

vrooom

Not a great pic, but here is a breeding pair with small ones in SW GA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited by a moderator: