BLACK DUCKS?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Couple black ducks (male and female), but the speculum doesn't look quite right, blue v. purple.

May be a black/mallard hybrid, usually see quite a few here (WV) during the season.

Pic was with a cell phone at 25 yards...time to break out the white decoys20210811_142842.jpg

georgia_home

i do hope there is no speculum involved with those ducks. Their color palate, or SPECTRUM, doesnt look off, but it’s been nearly 35 years since I last saw/shot a black duck.

Couple black ducks (male and female), but the speculum doesn't look quite right, blue v. purple.

May be a black/mallard hybrid, usually see quite a few here (WV) during the season.

Pic was with a cell phone at 25 yards...time to break out the white decoysView attachment 1097203

WOODIE13

Very true. The drake didn't have any.

Tough to find anymore without some white

WOODIE13

LIB MR ducks

i do hope there is no speculum involved with those ducks. Their color palate, or SPECTRUM, doesnt look off, but it’s been nearly 35 years since I last saw/shot a black duck.

Actually it is called the speculum. Straight off the USFWS website:

The speculum, or colored wing patch, Is generally irrldescent and bright, and often a telltale field mark.