Black Panthers???

basstrkr

This is for Hazer the OP: It was about 1985 mid June on hyw 19 south out of Dublin, Ga. My friend and I were headed north toward Dublin. Its about 6 PM and the sky is heavy with dark thunder clouds. It had rained earlier in the evening so the highway and the grass on the right of way was wet.
What I saw was a large long tailed cat run across the road about 100 ft. in front of me.
It was fast, about 4 to 5 leaps and bounds and it was gone. It appeared to be black but with the low light conditions and wet fur it may not have been.
Way too big to be a house cat, longer and larger than any bob cat I've ever seen and I've seen them in the wild, trapped and skinned. I don't know what it was.
I report you decide.

godogs57

One of my elk hunting guide buddy’s has hunted all over the world. He’s in his 70’s. He has two grand slams on sheep, among other accomplishments. He’s the only person I’ve ever heard of that has survived being mauled by a jaguar. It doesn’t count though, I suppose….it wasn’t black.

Nate11

It's not uncommon in jaguars. But It's also worth noting that the same condition called melanism is also causing more and more coyotes to be black across the south east. Strange coincidence

trout maharishi

The Brazilian military uses them as mascots. I think they are beautiful animals. I'm no animal expert, but I don't think any large predator could go unnoticed in the southeast US. Sooner or later that animal would prey on domestic farm animals or your pets. Big cat behavior is fairly predictable and when you add dogs into the mix they become easy prey.

Last edited:

B. White

It's not uncommon in jaguars. But It's also worth noting that the same condition called melanism is also causing more and more coyotes to be black across the south east. Strange coincidence

It appears to be extremely rare in Mexico and further north.

Mike 65

True story. Made a trip to bass pro to pick up some new hunting’s boots.

I saw Elvis in the bass pro in Macon telling the young girl who worked there all about a black panther that lived behind his house.
Now imagine this guy with the Elvis hair, the side burns wearing bell bottom jeans, his collar flipped up and them big glasses, saying in his best ”Elvis“ voice how a black panther lives behind his house and screams like a woman being murdered every night. He was even trying to make the screaming sound. :ROFLMAO:
He did all this with a straight face.
I got to laughing so hard I had to walk off.
After Elvis had left the boot department I went back to get my boots and told the girl that Elvis was off his rocker. I only wish I could have got this on video.
Like I said true story. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ol bob

Back in the late 60's I had a good friend, that saw a lot of strange things, including a 100 lb rat, he was heavy into LSD, so that may explain a lot, of the sightings.

KentuckyHeadhunter

True story. Made a trip to bass pro to pick up some new hunting’s boots.

I saw Elvis in the bass pro in Macon telling the young girl who worked there all about a black panther that lived behind his house.
Now imagine this guy with the Elvis hair, the side burns wearing bell bottom jeans, his collar flipped up and them big glasses, saying in his best ”Elvis“ voice how a black panther lives behind his house and screams like a woman being murdered every night. He was even trying to make the screaming sound. :ROFLMAO:
He did all this with a straight face.
I got to laughing so hard I had to walk off.
After Elvis had left the boot department I went back to get my boots and told the girl that Elvis was off his rocker. I only wish I could have got this on video.
Like I said true story. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's hilarious! Last year I was at a gas station in Canton near my house and there's a guy who always rides his bicycle to the store for drinks and smokes. He went on and on about the black panther behind his trailer down the road. Was showing pics of it to the guy at the register but I didn't see them and I just stood there quietly shaking my head.

godogs57

That's hilarious! Last year I was at a gas station in Canton near my house and there's a guy who always rides his bicycle to the store for drinks and smokes. He went on and on about the black panther behind his trailer down the road. Was showing pics of it to the guy at the register but I didn't see them and I just stood there quietly shaking my head.
He’s drunk. It was someone’s black lab.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Pretty cool story! I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. And he is such a handsome cat.

I like this part from the article. They are such elusive animals.

P22 has never posed danger to people, choosing to coexist peacefully and lurk in the night, keeping his distance from human neighbors. Scientists point out that P22 lives in an urban park visited by millions of people and is rarely seen.

I've seen many different species of big cats at zoos and fairs, but would love to see each one of them in the wild. In their native habitat. Heck, I get all excited when I see a bobcat.

godogs57

Pretty cool story! I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. And he is such a handsome cat.

I like this part from the article. They are such elusive animals.

I've seen many different species of big cats at zoos and fairs, but would love to see each one of them in the wild. In their native habitat. Heck, I get all excited when I see a bobcat.
P22 might be a nice kitty BUT there are recorded instances of hikers being killed by lions in that state park.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ironic that the condition called melanism that causes the jaguars to be black. Is also showing up in coyotes in the south east. Its almost non-existent everywhere else
It comes from wolf and dog DNA. Southeastern coyotes aren't true coyotes like the ones out west. They are a unique canine hybrid, with up to 30% wolf DNA and 10% dog DNA in a lot of them tested. Wolves are naturally multi-colored. If you read accounts by early southeastern explorers, like William Bartram, they mention lots of small, black wolves. They also mention lots of panthers. None of them mention black cats or jaguars. Not once. Neither did the Indians who lived here for thousands of years.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It comes from wolf and dog DNA. Southeastern coyotes aren't true coyotes like the ones out west. They are a unique canine hybrid, with up to 30% wolf DNA and 10% dog DNA in a lot of them tested. Wolves are naturally multi-colored. If you read accounts by early southeastern explorers, like William Bartram, they mention lots of small, black wolves. They also mention lots of panthers. None of them mention black cats or jaguars. Not once. Neither did the Indians who lived here for thousands of years.
They coyotes I seen out west are lanky. Ours around here are fat and round on the average. I seen a black coyote just couldn’t get on him.
Seen a white buck around here also. He got ran over about where I seen him cross.