Blacktip/Spinner's

razor1

Hey everyone! This new forum is about sharing info,tips,reports,questions and stories so I thought that I would just share with everyone quite possible my favorite thing, and that would be blacktip/spinner shark fishing! I cant tell you guys just how thrilling it really is unless you have done it. There is nothing that compares to a 150lb blacktip singing off the drag and then you fight that fish with all you got up to the boat and then when the leader is grabed for a few seconds you get to see the blacktip in action.. But it gets even better, drag is just pouring off your next hook-up and this time its a spinner shark. You get to see that shark come completely out of the water just a spinning, and guess what? When you get that shark to the boat (if you've had your wheaties) you get to see a show. Its my opinion but I would love to see those two sharks be placed in a sport group cause catching these sharks is high action! I would encourage everyone to experiance that thrill that comes with the blacktips and spinners and there is no better place in the world to do it than right here on the GA coast...................EJ

Capt. Richie Lott

I agree 100% buddy.... I feel the same way about those fish. It's just as fun as catching an ole slimy tarpon and they get status like no other because they're harder to catch.

They'll be here in about 2 weeks... I am sittin on go..

jamrens

Banned
There is no excuse for anyone not to go.. RIchie is doing 50$ trips. Make the call and get on them.. I have been with them on a spinner trip and i will tell you there is nothing like seeing a 200 lb shark jump 10 foot out of the water. Those sharks pull like a freight train and give a great aerial show..

Whit

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
did i catch spinner sharks?
i've caught lots of blacktip and atlantic sharpnose at tybee. but i havn't been had closure to sharks we caught 2 yrs ago. we anchored about 200 yards down current of an anchored shrimp boat in savannah bay. using chunks of ladyfish and mullet we caught huge sharks, bigger than we ever have by far.
brother and i are both over 6 ft and 220 pounds and these sharks were as big or almost as big as we were.
they would bite on the bottom and run. after a 20 or so feet, we'd set the hook. then the sharks would go straight to the surface and swim and or roll/spin at the top of the water during most of the fight.
we were not prepared for those, we couldnt land any of them. we were only ready for the common 3 foot sharpnose.
were these spinner sharks????
how come spinner sharks arn't mentioned in the georgia regulations???
oh and behind that shrimpboat it was like a school of them i think. everytime we'd loose one. we would send another bait and hook up with another one, all afternoon. my net was too small, we had no gaff, our store bought leaders were to short, and the clasp were the weak link. i've scince bought material to hand make long strong leaders.

Capt. Richie Lott

They aren't mentioned as spinner sharks because they are in the black tip family (whaler sharks category in IGFA).

Normally, but not every time, the spinner sharks will jump 3-6 ft in the air and spin and they're FAST. Also, black tips jump, too.....

Ironically, the easiest way to distinguish the two apart from one another is the anal fin. On a black tip, there will be NO BLACK TIP. Weirdly enough... But on the Spinner Shark, the tips of the anal fins are black. Opposite of what you would think, but thats the deal.

You may have been wrestling with Lemon sharks or Nurse Sharks. Both will come to the surface and roll like that. I am not saying a bull shark wouldnt do that, but every bull shark I have caught, even in heavy current, will normally stay deep.

Look for their dorsal fins if you can on your next hook up.. Both nurse and lemons will have (2) dorsal fins. One will be in it's normal place in the center of the back, and another will be half way or more to the tail on Nurse and Lemons.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
thanks captin,
i do hope to have that opertunity again and i will hopefully have a closer look at one! like you mentioned, these sharks were very fast.