Bland Chants

Sautee Ridgerunner

Ive been eating a bunch around the house. This year theyve been firmer than usual but taste great.

Picked a pile from the mountains yesterday and they are very tasteless. My buddy from south ga said the same thing. Anybody else noticed this?

HughW2

I would agree that this year has had a bumper crop. Our hardwood creek bottoms are covered in them. Don’t know enough to comment on flavor being mild though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes if it rains a lot on them, they can get like that.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I havent noticed any tasteless but I've been cuttin em young. Throw em in some bacon grease.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
The ones I picked yesterday were wet so I par sautéed em, removed the water, then hit em with the butter, olive oil, salt and pepper and vacuumed em for later. I did eat a few outta the pan though and they tasted good to me. Maybe cook the water out first?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Add a little salt while you`re cooking them. It makes all the difference in the world.

patriot15joe

I have played around and found that if you squeeze one orange wedge on them after you cook the water off they hold that flavor fairly well. If they seem bland I do this and it works well.