Blue wing on the coast

Hammockben1

Ok I have a question and let me point out that I am not Cyber scouting. But I am wanting to hunt Savannah for blue wing, now i have been going to the coast looking and I have yet to see any blue wing down there. Is the saltwater marsh a bad area for blue winged teal?

across the river

Blue wings are tough to scout. They are often here today gone tomorrow. I’ve big groups in a spot one afternoon with none showing up the next morning. They do like the coast though, so it isn’t like you are scouting for them in an area they never visit. Just keep looking, but realize if you find some it doesn’t mean they will be there tomorrow.

MudDucker

Staff member
With rare exception of a few places I know, teal that are here now, won't be here next week. I have a pond where they show up 10 days prior to the season and they leave just before opening day every dad gum year.

I'm bout ready to have a cajun season.

Mexican Squealer

Early season bwts in the marsh can be great. It’s different scouting than in regular season due to the fact they are in migration mode and the fact that their primary food source (at this time) is primarily bugs, snails, invertebrates etc...that makes keying in on a good source difficult. If I’m hunting the marsh durning Early teal season, my #1 goal is to find a spot where my decoys can be seen from a long way off....Which is a little different than regular season scouting and figuring out where the ducks want to be. Also look at google earth for wide open pockets in the marsh. Points and pockets. Good luck

jdgator

With rare exception of a few places I know, teal that are here now, won't be here next week. I have a pond where they show up 10 days prior to the season and they leave just before opening day every dad gum year.

I'm bout ready to have a cajun season.

Gonna be interesting out there this year.