Bluefish harvest closed March, April

I don't know what you talking about, but bluefish is very tasty. Maybe it was beginners luck for me, but I caught one and grilled it up and it was awesome. Everyone there, thought it was the best tasting of the bunch. Granted it wasn't some big one, but we also had red snapper that I grilled that I thought was very overrated. The red snapper was bought at a fish market and wasn't frozen. Just thought it was kinda basic. Now mangrove snapper on the other hand is awesome. But still think pompano is my favorite. But I heard that smoked bluefish is the way to go.

Redbow

Why would anybody want to harvest bluefish,when there are tastier fish to be had?
Wish I had a mess of fresh Bluefish to eat. Take a fresh Bluefish scale it. Fillet the fillets off each side then turn the skin down and fillet the meat off with a sharp knife. Get the red meat and skin off the fillet, that's where the bad taste is Blue's are oily. Then batter and fry the fish and let me know how good you liked the Bluefish for eating.

I think they are going to do a temporary close here in NC on the Bluefish also for rec. anglers. But of course the netters will still get their share like they always do.

crackerdave

Wish I had a mess of fresh Bluefish to eat. Take a fresh Bluefish scale it. Fillet the fillets off each side then turn the skin down and fillet the meat off with a sharp knife. Get the red meat and skin off the fillet, that's where the bad taste is Blue's are oily. Then batter and fry the fish and let me know how good you liked the Bluefish for eating.

I think they are going to do a temporary close here in NC on the Bluefish also for rec. anglers. But of course the netters will still get their share like they always do.
They are a lot like mullet.Good when cleaned fresh like you said,but not my choice for frying.
Give me some flounder deep fried in peanut oil!
The commercial guys are over harvesting them,too.Us rec fishers are the ones rèstricted.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like bluefish ok grilled, but not a big fan of them fried. They are fun to catch.

Redbow

Bluefish, Mullet, and Spanish Mackerel are good smoked.

crumpet

Why do you bother to scale it if you’re skinning it? Lol

Redbow

Why do you bother to scale it if you’re skinning it? Lol
I scale them first then wash the scales off the fish so I don't have to deal with them at all. Just doing things my way like most of us do. Your mileage may vary.