Boar Hog Meat?

Mexican Squealer

I drug a rank boar I killed a few weeks ago ( to where the Eagles would easily find it) and still can’t get the stench out of my truck. The Eagles nor the buzzards have touched that nasty bastage. The rankest I’ve ever come across...and unfortunately I’ve come across a bunch.

Jim Boyd

Reading this I am reminded again that I am overly thankful that my leased 844 acres in SC (some of it along the Salkehatchie) does not have hogs.

chrislibby88

They may be tired of them cause we been dumping a good bit this yr
Guess you can start getting picky when you have an all you can eat buffet. Funny how the deer hide got slurped up instantly, proof that venison is the best stuff ever.

mlandrum

What I,ve found out about hogs is if they are running or ***** (trying to breed) the meat is untameable. I try to shoot mine in the head so there's no rush in their system at all. This year so far I've shot a 100 pounder , 300 pounder and a 400 pounder and doing the best I can in the field- Deballing, gutting, and other little things the meat is wonderful!! I keep surgical gloves in my back pack and in my truck and NEVER clean or gut one without them on. Pack them in ice for 3 days and cut up myself. I make my own sausage and delicate cuts and have NEVER had any issue using this method---IMG_8084 (3).jpegIMG_1148.jpgIMG_1031.jpg

Swamprat

Swamprat
Getcha one from Central Florida that has been eating acorns and palmetto berries for 3-4 weeks.....you are not soaking that stank out. Kill it a few months before or after palmetto berry season and it is great meat.

Back40hunter

I’ve killed two BIG boar hogs, one 300+ and one about 250. I had most all of them meat ground into sausage. The first couple of packs that I fried stunk up the entire house. My wife banned me from the kitchen with it so I started frying it on my grill burner. After this stuff was in the freezer for three or four months that boar hog odor went away. We ate them both in their entirety and enjoy it all.

tree cutter 08

Wild hogs are hit or miss so I usually don't mess with them. Have had some that was great and a bunch that was terrible. Heck we had a store bought pork loin other day that wasn't much count. Had a pretty good wang to it but that's unusual. All the hogs I have shot and left get eat by the bears and yotes within a few days. Bears get most of them. Last boar I shot I went back to check on it a week later and a big bear I had on camera had camped out on it. Even chewed the skull up into little peices.

deers2ward

I drug a rank boar I killed a few weeks ago ( to where the Eagles would easily find it) and still can’t get the stench out of my truck. The Eagles nor the buzzards have touched that nasty bastage. The rankest I’ve ever come across...and unfortunately I’ve come across a bunch.

When I kill one on my property, when I walk up to them, they smell like someone dumped a 5 gallon bucket of hot urine on them.

Rich Kaminski

When the processor opened up this hog - it was loaded with cysts.

Kaisrus6

I'm certainly no expert as I've only killed 20-25 hogs, but I've found that if they stink so bad when you first walk up on them, then walk away. If its just a wild stink, no big deal but if they're rank you won't get that smell out.

I quarter them out put them in a cooler and pour a cup of apple cider vinegar and two cups of lemon juice over the meat, pack in ice then fill the cooler with water so all the meat is submerged and let it sit for a day. rinse and repeat for three days then two more days of just ice water. When I cut up the meat it has a citrus smell to it and taste as good as any pork I've eaten.