Boat Build

g0nef1sshn

Might not have to be paddling around this year! My dad should be going to scoop me up a 1995 40 hp merc tomorrow. I had to order a tiller handle off ebay for it that wont be here for a while, but at least this boat should get wet this year! Hope it all works out! this is the motor.

Attachments

• 00X0X_8xoriDD9rcE_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_8xoriDD9rcE_600x450.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 590

g0nef1sshn

How did you upload these pictures? I'm trying to post about my new rig and I can't seem to upload pictures. Thanks

I take most with my phone (galaxy) and email them to myself. the phone gives me the option to email them small/med/large. I choose small. Then I download them from my email to my desktop. When your posting, scroll below your post before submitting it and you will see something say manage attachments. click that, browse to where your pics are and select the one you want. And upload them. For some reason I can not do all the above directly from my phone though.

g0nef1sshn

tiller arrived

I was a little worried about this ebay purchase from Israel but it arrived this week down in Fl at my parents place where the motor is. I was going to throw nice new rubber on my trailer and haul it down there 4th of July weekend to put in all on the boat, but, our house now needs a new HVAC system. There goes my tire money. I wanted new tires because I dont trust the ones on it for a 600 mile round trip at 70 MPH.

So I will head down there and work on connecting the tiller and figuring out how to add a key start and additional tilt/trim switch and haul back up here to Ga to put it all on the boat. Its getting so close to splash time!

Attachments

• IMG_48311.jpg
    IMG_48311.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_72071.jpg
    IMG_72071.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_88511.jpg
    IMG_88511.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 473

g0nef1sshn

will the good ship lolly pop float marine?

I hope so. I just wish now i had got an aluminum trailer instead of a nice "like new" painted steel one so i wouldnt have issues launching it salt water down the road. Once the motor is on and all good the search to trade,sell, buy an aluminum one will start!

g0nef1sshn

heres my power

1995 40 hp 4cyl 2 stroke..

any pitch/prop ideas what would work best with this tank?

Attachments

• IMG_78611.jpg
    IMG_78611.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_54341.jpg
    IMG_54341.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 943
  • 00X0X_8xoriDD9rcE_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_8xoriDD9rcE_600x450.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 942
  • 00V0V_5PBJOO0TdUr_600x450.jpg
    00V0V_5PBJOO0TdUr_600x450.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 937

MudDucker

Staff member
Best to put the boat on the motor and then test different props.

g0nef1sshn

Best to put the boat on the motor and then test different props.

Good point Mud.

I have her hooked up ready to go south to put a motor on. This is the first time it has been uncovered and all the work has been out in the rain. Not sure how I feel about that yet. facepalm:

Put two new tires on today and the spare seems legit so off to add some horsepower this weekend. :yeah:

Attachments

• 20160630_181748_resized.jpg
    20160630_181748_resized.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 917

g0nef1sshn

Have you had it on the road since putting the sides on?

Yep,trailers fine! I think the plates I added under the gunels helps a lot with that (and the lock nuts added). At highway speeds today they didn't even appear to shake in the mirrors. And with the rain and wind stayed right behind behind me with no problems. The trailer itself isn't exactly on the light side either, which I think helps out a lot, but i already want to get/trade an aluminum one now so salt water will not be an issue.

g0nef1sshn

Still have work to do. But the motor is on and back in Ga. Havnt had it in the water yet. I need to get a new gas tank, wire the key ignition in, and do some work on the tiller handle. I wasnt an exact match as far as bolting on. I think it was miss labeled on ebay. This is probably the tiller for larger 75hp plus models.

Attachments

• 20160703_130610_resized.jpg
    20160703_130610_resized.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 875
  • 20160702_182443_resized.jpg
    20160702_182443_resized.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 871

g0nef1sshn

Nope. And its driving me nuts. Just had to get uniforms for my kids school. Gas tanks are expensive too, so im waiting to drop money on that and a few other odds and ends. I put in for vaca time at the beginning of August so im hoping that will be the time i actually have this thing in the water.

g0nef1sshn

Picked up a 12 gallon tank, muffs and 2 stroke oil this week. Going to bring her home this weekend and try and get this thing running up the river!

kevbo3333

Smart move with the larger gas tank. Those 6 gallon units are over rated! I have a six gallon tank and keep a VP gas can in my boat if I plan on going somewhere im not as familiar with.

g0nef1sshn

Smart move with the larger gas tank. Those 6 gallon units are over rated! I have a six gallon tank and keep a VP gas can in my boat if I plan on going somewhere im not as familiar with.

Ya, i went with the 12 because my dads boat has a 6 gallon. And on the long okeechobee days after hunting plus scouting it getsvon our minds. His is a 35 hp, since this is a 40hp i figured it would be better to go larger on fuel capacity.

Dr. Strangelove

Wow! Just read through the whole thread, great build, hope you get her in the water soon!

g0nef1sshn

Wow! Just read through the whole thread, great build, hope you get her in the water soon!

Thanks! And might be this weekend. Just had it running in the driveway! But i have some things to work out with connections to the ignition. Might only do a ramp test at the dock and not a full out cruise. But i am getting closer!