Bobcat attractors

sportsman94

Anyone make or use them? I’ve hung wings at cat specific sets before, but never did anything more than that. Was recently reading a book that said bobcats more than anything else like to kill prey. The author had pondered how to add a lifelike presentation to his set and settled on using fake eyes. More specifically, a shiny, unblinking, natural looking eyeball. Got me curious as I’ve heard people mention it with google eyes before, but never saw anything about realistic looking eyes. I went on Amazon and picked up some 8” nylon landscaping spikes as well as some teddy bear eyes. Drilled out a hole at the top of the spike and shoved the eyes down into it. Hoping to use it as a stake for beaver/rabbit/whatever other kind of fur I have lying around and decide to use. Should serve the purpose for staking the hide and hopefully add another visual for them. Would like to get some light colored fur to add contrast, but not sure if it’ll matter or not. Would love to see your attractors or hear any theories or thoughts you have about the subject

7EFC2A08-7F75-4764-8A72-B86E881DA9DB.jpegEF0A6076-0F3E-4B55-8D2E-E9FA4FC2E65C.jpeg

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Sounds reasonable...

How bout some eyes on a bit of fake fur, strung on mono right above the trap, twisting in the breeze???

Just spitballin' here...

sportsman94

Most all of the cat flags I’ve seen/used/heard about have been suspended at or near the set. There is no doubt that they draw cats in from long range when seen, but I’m not sure how long they do or should hold interest if the cat can’t reach. Both in conjunction might be a really good set though! If I can find some cat sign I may put a mock set in with a camera to see if it gets a reaction

treemanjohn

Banned
Hang a feather on light mono

Here's one of my fathers old secrets. Get a cheap long haired wig Grey or blond and staple a small clump on a branch above the trap. NEVER in direct sunlight! Only filtered sunlight. He was a cat killer

sportsman94

Put these on some fur this afternoon. I think they look really good and pretty lifelike. I’ll plan to put them at trash pile sets, shallow dirtholes, and other sets where they’ll look like they are hiding. Will hopefully have some results to post when season rolls around

9DAB7151-29D7-4BE7-8F26-B1EC06F36A76.jpeg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
My buddy uses foam craft balls and stuffs a couple feathers in them and hangs them above the trap, he catches a good many.

went thru my archives, made up a couple. nothing special, but it gives them something extra to think about. first photo I've senttrapping.jpg

Last edited:

deermaster13

We keep.a bag of the silver Christmas decorations, inexpensive and few strings hanging over a set will catch their eye. Just my .02 though.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I read somewhere that hanging an old compact disc over the set works well...

Myself, I like the idea of the Furry Eye much better... ?️
Heard the CD trick before too

Tugboat1

Any old bird wing or clump of feathers hung up.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Couple eggs in a round bale in the center. Hollow it out a bit. Around hay fields.
A friend of mine that has passed away had several pics of Bobcat at them.
He had a caught bobcat in a pen. Fed it meat and water. Had a catch pan under it to get the urine. Used it also. Both coyotes and bobcats. He used vicks vapor rub as a scent also. Just a little above on a stick.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Couple eggs in a round bale in the center. Hollow it out a bit. Around hay fields.
A friend of mine that has passed away had several pics of Bobcat at them.
He had a caught bobcat in a pen. Fed it meat and water. Had a catch pan under it to get the urine. Used it also. Both coyotes and bobcats. He used vicks vapor rub as a scent also. Just a little above on a stick.

Man, the more I think about this one the more I like it...

A little cubby in a hay bale, one broken egg, and a couple bright shiny ones, with two traps set under it...Maybe a drop or two of urine...

Seems like a "can't miss", or maybe it just catches me.... ?

sportsman94

Sounds good to me too. Thanks for sharing kmac. That’s really what I made this post about was attractors that keep them at/working your set. Not necessarily just attracting them from a ways away like most of the hanging attractor. I think most hanging attractors get the cats to the area, but then you have to have something attractive enough to get and keep their attention after they get bored with the hanging attractor they can’t reach

Latest posts