Bonus deer

bubbafowler

Ok so my 2 oldest girls were drawn for JL Lester. They're checking in 3 quota hunts here. JL Lester (20), Tallapoosa VPA (60), and treat mtn VPA (200). They have a sign up that says they're only checking deer from 8am to 8 pm. Legal shooting light ends around 750. So if you kill one near last light you have 15 minutes to gut it, drag it, and drive it back or they don't tag it. They say if it's after 8 then bring the head the next morning. What if I'm not planning to stay overnight? What about tonight, the last night of the hunt? Seems kinda pointless to hunt this evening. The point of this hunt was the bonus tags so they could shoot a small buck if one presented itself and not use their buck tags. Never had a quota do this...... what are y'all's thoughts? Who would I contact to complain?

Long Cut

Sounds like whomever wrote up those times hasn’t pulled a deer out of the woods in a while.

I’d follow the above and get a local Wardens cell number to coordinate better with them to cross some t’s and dot some i’s.

feathersnantlers

Here's another question same subject: Coosawattee WMA is reduced to 1,800+ acres. The quota is only 35 hunters. I read somewhere DNR only expects 30-50% of the picked hunters to show up & hunt. So does that mean they only expect at max 18 hunters showing up for Coosawattee?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Honestly if it was me and I made a effort to take it to check station in a timely manner and no one was there . I wouldn’t worry about it
This^^^ I’d drive by the check station when all loaded up. If they are gon, don’t sweat it….take the girls hunting and shoot a legal deer.