Bought a Pedal Kayak for Coastal Fishing...Now What?

Fishmonkey

I know nothing about kayak fishing, but I was looking for something to keep myself active and try to beat the astronomical fuel prices. I am familiar with Coffee Bluff and Sunbury, but what are some other options near Savannah where I could actually catch a fish or two without straying too far from the ramp/launch, at least until I become more familiar with the kayak's limitations?

Coenen

What kind of kayak?

Assuming the boat itself is capable, your main issue will be drift control with tide and wind. Pick your days, pick your spots, wear your PFD, and you'll be having fun in no time. Just take it easy the first few trips, until you're used to the way the boat handles. You'll feel shakey at first, but that will pass fairly quickly.

The salt is full of fish, a Gulp Shrimp fished slow on a jig head will catch the snot out of them pretty much anywhere in the marsh from what I've seen. This would be a better question over in the coastal fishing forum.

Fishmonkey

What kind of kayak?

It's a Seastream 120PD.
iu

crackerdave

Once you get the feel of your yak,you will really enjoy fishing in it.
When you hook a big redfish,you'll get a sleigh ride!

Anvil Head

Agree, more about getting out there, taking your time and enjoy getting to know your equipment. The rest will come right along just fine. Make sure you have a cooler/container for your catch - gators and fins will grab a dangling stringer.
I seem to be able to find quality fish faster with a gold Little Cleo with red trebles, but that's what I'm used to. Good looking rig have fun.

crackerdave

I know nothing about kayak fishing, but I was looking for something to keep myself active and try to beat the astronomical fuel prices. I am familiar with Coffee Bluff and Sunbury, but what are some other options near Savannah where I could actually catch a fish or two without straying too far from the ramp/launch, at least until I become more familiar with the kayak's limitations?
How's it going?

Qazaq15

If you don’t have a landing net, get one. The last thing you want is a fish thrashing around on top of your legs with hooks in his mouth. A good pair of hemostats with a float attached to them is a good thing to have as well.

kingfish

Might want to consider figuring out how to get back into it if you fall out, and then practicing till it's second nature. Even shallow water can be a challenge. Then there is deep water re entry (can't touch the bottom) which depending on the type of kayak you have, can be a real challenge. I was one of those guys who took shark bait out through the breakers back in the late 70's early 80's in a kayak and I can tell you a thing or two about flipping one and then having to get back in.

Rabun

Agree wholeheartedly w the landing net dry box (makes sure it attaches to something) and re-entry. I avoid the breakers cause I’ve been flipped before as well. Luckily I didn’t have rods with me. I also installed rod holders that are adjustable (tilt, rotate, lock the rod and come off). I like my spare rods low and parallel to the yak instead of standing upright. I snag them less while casting.

Fishmonkey

Hope the Fishmonkey didn't get et by a shark!
Ain't been coastal fishing in it yet. Tried some public fishing areas near me to get a feel for it, but they all seem to be fished out. I want to practice climbing in in water over my head but can't do that until they finish my daughter's pool. I'm thinking about doing my first trip at Ft. Mcallister, putting in at the Redbird Creek ramp.

crackerdave

Glad you're ok!

Once you get some hours in the saddle and get comfortable with your boat you will really enjoy kayak fishing.

Practising re-entry is a very smart thing.Don't load your boat with so many gadgets that it would make it hard to climb back in after capsizing.Always have your paddle attached to your boat,and anything else you don't want to lose.Of course wear a life jacket.

SGTDAN366

The best thing is to get on some smaller bodies pf water and get used to the kayak. SEGKBF is a group out of savannah that fishes mostly freshwater. you can look them up on facebook and also at www.segkbf.com

Redbow

I would say get quite a bit of experience with the Kayak before going into tidal creeks and such. An acquaintance of mine who lives in Wilmington NC his Son lost his life in a tidal creek after buying a kayak to fish in salt water with. I don't think the man who drowned had the proper experience with his new toy his Son was in his early twenties such a shame.

AllTerrainAngler

If you ever need a fishing buddy for saltwater let me know. I go pretty often.