Bought my first Kayak. Now What?

Rip Steele

Long story short I looked at a bunch of models and brands. I didn't want to spend a fortune before I knew if I was even going to like it, so I purchased a couple from DICKS. Whatever I buy I have to buy my wife one to. Now I have 2 of the Lifetime Teton SOT kayaks. I picked them up in a trailer because I have 3 jeep wranglers. Any information on a good rack system to haul 2 kayaks? If I do enjoy it I'm going to probably get either the Bonifide RS117 or the Native. I can then give both of these kayaks to my two girls. I live on a lake so I'll get practice with it, but what I really want is to float down some rivers. I'm not much of a fisherman but I'm going to try to get back in it. Somebody stole all my fishing stuff about 7 years ago and I just stopped fishing after that. All advice is welcome.

Anvil Head

Just a suggestion - don't buy real expensive fishing gear until you learn to work the yak in moving water comfortably. Matter of fact - don't carry anything in a SOT yak that you can't afford or don't want to lose at some point. Stuff happens on moving water faster than you like.

I bought a kayak, about 20 years ago, to go fishing where I couldn't take my boat and loved it. For the first few years I went alone because no one thought river fishing was worth it. They'd go to Lanier for stripers. Finally a few people went with me and learned it was loads of fun and very productive. Some of the kayak places had shuttles I'd take and others my wife would pick me up and take me back to my truck. Start with calmer rivers and work your way up to class 2.P8270039.JPGAnother shot of the river....jpgAnother shot of the river....jpg