Bow fatigue

cself

Man I'm having a frustrating year. I don't remember how long it has been since I hunted with a bow only, at least 5-6 years. I'm in the season of life where young kids a work and life are reducing my time in the woods. It seems like this year specifically I have had multiple "shooter" bucks give me rifle opportunities but up to this point I haven't had any in bow range. I enjoy being in the woods and don't necessarily need a kill to feel successful that being said I can't help but to feel like it's selfish to spend the time away from my other properties and not maximize my opportunities. I know some of you have felt the same way so I'm just venting to like minded people. Hope you are all having a great season but you are not alone if you are frustrated.

ddd-shooter

Been there. I could kill a "big"deer for my area every year with a rifle. I also only hunt public land so I really get the frustration of getting nearly in bow range or in range and not killing only to have a rifle guy get him.

I can only say, you know how rewarding it is when it does come together. It's just a different feeling and you'll be feeling it soon! It just takes time which it sounds like you have less and less of nowadays.

ddd-shooter

Oh, I'll also say the definition of "shooter" changes if you can't put in the time. I've said many times ANY deer with a bow is a serious accomplishment. There's just so much that's difficult to line up and so much can go wrong.
I'll put an arrow through a spike in a heartbeat in a few of my spots, and I've let a ton bigger walk this year. Lol I just love to see an arrow disappear through the ribcage.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I might take the rifle for a walk once a year. That arrah flyin really stirs my soup. My leg shakes after the shot, every time. It’s an addiction..

Tadder

Archery only here, most anyone can pop one are ever how many they want with the fire stick. Getting em in bow range and every thing going right take some discipline. Listen too all them firesticks popping around you every set and just hoping a good buck comes in range can be tuff on the mental side of things. You just gotta be THANKFUL and enjoy all that nature has too offer. Some sets it maybe just watching tree rats run each other around the woods with a sighting of a deer as a bonus .I know it only takes 8 sec. for the season to go from ok to very BLESSED. As long as seasons in the chase is still on. If I get a shot thats great if not they well be bigger and smarter next season. Hopefully I'll be a little smarter too. God Bless and happy hunting.

Ihunt

Hunting should be fun and relaxing. If you want to bust out a rifle then do it. I only carry a bow but I’m the only one in our club of 4 that’s bow only. One guy is 50/50 and the other two are rifle only.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I am for the most part bow only, but I needed a doe this year and broke out the smokepole and killed one. I also passed on one of our mature bucks at 30 yards cause I really wanted to kill him with my bow instead and didnt feel bad watching him just out of bow range the rest of the season.

Man break out the gun if you feel like it and dont think twice.

flatsmaster

No doubt bow only can be more frustrating then trying to get out of a WalMart quickly BUT when u get to full draw there’s NOTHING like it .. you being bow only means you no that feeling ... I’m 65 and can’t get enough of stick and string ... if u need a kill to stay energized or meat in the freezer carry both ... whatever’s legal and ur having fun

uturn

Can’t stop the good medicine just have to learn how to take it!

Archery Only for Me!

Wanted to be clear...although I’m Archery Only if that all ended for some reason the pursuit would continue with whatever means possible heck I’d wrestle them if there was a Wrastlin Season for them...I’m just plain a Whitetail Freak!

So, chasum any way that’s legal and makes you happy!!! I carry my bow around plenty of gunners and it doesn‘t bother me in the least and for the most part don’t seem to bother them me bein me!

Always tough stuff to watch a 150ish not once, not twice but 3 times at under a 100yds and go home happy all 3 times!

Enjoy and Keep Keepin On!

BamaGeorgialine

I'm completely obsessed with archery. Man it's getting harder because I try to stay on the move and mobile as much as I can. I do sometimes miss sitting on a clear-cut just simply because of the amount of deer I'd see but, I don't miss it as much as I would the chase and the challenge of getting a deer within 30 yards and launching an arrow. I think about shooting a bow every single day and I actually do shoot almost every day. I just ordered the Ranch Fairy kit and I'm going to start building my own arrows and experiment some. I'm super excited about that part of it as well. The amount of money that I spend on bows, I could take a few out of state rifle hunts a year. Still wouldn't change it. I say that everyone should shoot whatever the heck makes them smile and want to go back for more. Have fun and don't apologize for it

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
BGL... If you still live around peachtree city we oughtta get together and shoot sometimes. I live close to the Sam's on 34, but to come into my back yard you have to bow down to my Kirby smart garden gnome. (same size)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Wanted to be clear...although I’m Archery Only if that all ended for some reason the pursuit would continue with whatever means possible heck I’d wrestle them if there was a Wrastlin Season for them...I’m just plain a Whitetail Freak!

So, chasum any way that’s legal and makes you happy!!! I carry my bow around plenty of gunners and it doesn‘t bother me in the least and for the most part don’t seem to bother them me bein me!

Always tough stuff to watch a 150ish not once, not twice but 3 times at under a 100yds and go home happy all 3 times!

Enjoy and Keep Keepin On!

You know I am with you.

Back in Jan 2013 I was running a late season 4 day LFTT and hunting a classic food to bed pattern in IL. Every morning and evening I would literally see 50-100 or so deer in almost single file lines going from bed to a green field. Course I was playing cat and mouse with the right trail at the right time.

One morning I had an absolute giant, felt like 70s+) headed my way and they get to 75 out and cut across an open field and leave me all alone.

Someone commented and said something like "tell the truth, dont you wish you had a gun?" My answer was about the same as always. "I didnt even think about what if with a gun in hand and although I would be proud to kill him with a gun, there's just sumn about releasing an arrow that does it for me"

Btw anyone that wants to follow a GREAT 3 days in the woods. Jump in here! Man what a hunt. I think it was 4 does on the tailgate and ended with a great buck for the grill and wall.

DEAD DEER EVERYWHERE! JT is Live From The Tree 3 days in IL! Last of 2013-14 series | GON Forum

Last edited:

Kris87

My idea of a successful season is how many deer I see and how many bucks I encounter. I don't worry about piling deer on the tailgates. I've killed one good one here, one good one in Ohio, lost a big one here and lost the biggest of my life in KY. So I'm having a terrible season odds wise, but I know the buck I shot in KY is still alive as I'm seeing him on camera every week. Not sure about the one I lost here.

I passed some early season bucks that I likely would shoot now, but if I don't have the chance, then I have great video of them to look at still. I could have killed way more bucks with a gun than I have on the wall, but I guarantee you I wouldn't be as good a hunter as I am bow only, and I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do with the bow. That I know.

cr00241

I have been majority bow hunting the past few years. It has been frustrating for me too. I had a nice mature buck come in last year and stayed in the thick stuff and never gave me a shot. Had to watch him walk away. I also have been busted by the group of does numerous times. I finally had it all come together the other night. Wind was perfect, they came in and even though one popped her head up when I drew back, I was able to get a clean shot on the mature doe. I heard her crash and I was as happy as if I killed a giant buck. Them old does have been hard to hunt. BD631313-53C7-4ECF-8814-A9E8A48E4A2F.jpeg

elhoward622

I get it man. I have been hunting with mostly traditional archery this year and doing a lot of still hunting and stalking and exploring. Highly, highly unproductive way to hunt but honestly I’ve had a blast. I stalked up on a small eight point this year and got a shot at him but missed because I miss judged the yardage. I am about to break the rifle out and try to knock a doe down for the freezer. Even if I don’t get to punch a single tag with archery this year I will still be extremely happy with how the season went. I’ve been having fun so honestly I’m not even pressuring myself. I didn’t set any goals for myself this year except for just do what was fun. This year has been the most enjoyable hunting season ever for me despite being the least successful. I say do what you enjoy and if you need some deer meat don’t worry about dragging out the rifle and fill in the freezer.