Bow recommendations

NickDeer

I’ve been looking at getting a bow for a while now. There are so many options i don’t even know where to start. Does anybody have any good recommendations of bows that won’t cost a fortune ?

catch22

not sure if you have posted this in the bowhunting forum, but you will probably get more bites over there

krizia829

I’ve been looking at getting a bow for a while now. There are so many options i don’t even know where to start. Does anybody have any good recommendations of bows that won’t cost a fortune ?
If you're a beginner and don't want to spend much, I'd take a look at the Diamond Infinite Edge. It has a huge range of adjustment for the draw length and draw weight compared to most bows and is $349.99 for the package at Bass Pro! Not sure what your local bow shops charge but I remember selling plenty of these back when I worked at BPS. Hope you find the right one!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I always recommend a top of the line bow thats three years old or older until you know yourself. A three year old bow will cost half what it did and still just as good as it ever was.

HabershamHunter85

I second the Diamond Infinite Edge, very versatile with all of the different adjustments. Doesn't cost a ton and is a very good bow for the price. Once you get into it and know its something you will continue to do, then upgrade to a better bow.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I got my son a PSE Infinity for Christmas. It’s a Ready To Hunt package with EZ adjustments and it was a little over $300, maybe 350. Sweet bow, bought online(lots to choose from). Needed to be tuned up though and Tommy at Acworth Cabela’s did it for free. ...I like new and the options are endless

splatek

UAEC
Best way to find out, in my completely uneducated opinion is to shoot some, a lot.
I ended up with a free Edge and it's great. Shoots straight, reasonably fast (even though I am not convinced speed means all that much), and killed a few deer this season. The adjustability means that now that I figured out I am left eye dominant and shooting a trad bow left, while looking for a compound bow in left handed (actually, looking for the money for a compound bow in left handed), I can downward adjust for my 9 year old that can pull 35# trad and is able to get this to the let off easily with about the same draw weight. I had it shooting at 56 and it was smooth.

That being said, it was free. Before I got it, I went to BPS and shot some obsession, black out, cabelas brand, bear archery, bows that ranged from the low end to the high end as far as price. And just like I can't tell the difference between a $10 and a $100 bottle of wine, I found I couldn't tell the difference between a $300 and a $1000 bow, which mean $700 left in my wallet. Just my 2 cents.

alwayslookin

Lots of options. Some general advice I would give is:

-Don't get a short ATA bow
-Don't get a speed bow
-Until you learn to work on the bow yourself (you should at least learn to tune it), stop in a few shops in your area and get to know the bow tech - you'll need em to help you get set up

uturn

Go find your local archery club, lots of good folks at the ones I’m a part of here and I’m sure it’s gotta be much the same near you!

Good luck and welcome!

Nothing like it!!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Lots of options. Some general advice I would give is:

-Don't get a short ATA bow
-Don't get a speed bow
-Until you learn to work on the bow yourself (you should at least learn to tune it), stop in a few shops in your area and get to know the bow tech - you'll need em to help you get set up

Knowing very little to nothing about bows, I learned a bunch watching Tommy line this thing up......I wanted to buy arrows and he wanted me to wait and make sure my kid was comfy with length etc. “then we’ll cut him some arrows” he said. He used some tools with levels etc that I don’t have, nor want to buy. It was clear these things have to be done though. Everything must line up for starters....My son was not with me when we did this, but changing draw length and weight is a piece of cake if you know how.

ddd-shooter

I recommend an older flagship bow as well. You may not notice as a newbie, but after a while, you’ll see a difference.
Also, shoot many different brands and styles. Some like a binary cam, some like single. Some like a big valley, some like a short one. Some like a longer ata, some a shorter one. Not to mention draw lengths vary among manufacturers.

You’ll need an experienced shooter/tech to check your form and potential set up.

wks41

Archerytalk classifieds. Hundreds of used bows for sale. You can get some really good deals. I’ve bought my last two off AT. Only problem is you won’t be able to shoot it first. I’ve owned several different brands of bows. You can’t go wrong with most manufactures. Like stated earlier get a 7 brace height and I’d defiantly get a bow with adjustable DL without having to change cams or mods. A lot of companies also offer RTH (Ready to hunt) models. These come fully set up ready to shoot. These are a great option and don’t require any set up other than sighting it in. Good luck