Bowfishing...

DUCKAHOLIC86

Was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on this, never done it before. Any preference as to what name brand reel set up to go with, type of arrow and general stuff like that... Any help would be great. Thanks guys

string music

AMS makes some good stuff..If money was not an option i would buy the oneida ospray bow. My good friend owns bowfishing madness gude service and he can be more help to ya....Check out bowfishingmadness.com web site..You might want to book a trip with him to get your feet wet...Good luck

wack em

First of all go ahead and spend the money on the good stuff because you are gonna me addicted. I shoot a Onieda Osprey, with a ams wave rest, and a ams retriever pro reel (this is the bottle type reel and the only way to go in my opinion). As far as arrows almost everybody uses the white fiberglass muzzy arrows topped off with a muzzy gar tiped head. Good luck and if you have any questions just shoot me a PM.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i agree about getting the best you can first or you will be buying it later !!! but i hated my bottle reel. i could not get rid of that thing fast enough !!! sure wish i had the cash for an osprey though !!!

wack em

So can I set up my PSE X force Dream Season for bow fishing?

You could but you aren't gonna like the way it shoots on the water. You dont want to be drawing 50,60, 70 pounds shooting fish in GA. It would be a good choice maybe shooting gator gar or deep sheepheads, but not for carp in shallow ga mud. Your Xforce shoots so fast that you will bury up your arrow in the mud and spend half of your time pullin arrows rather than shooting at fish. I would reccomend any recurve, or old round weeled bow, or something like an Onieda osprey, or or a Cuda.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i have a cuda and like it pretty well. wack em's osprey is the cadillac of bowfishing bows. my favorite shooter is a pse spyder V4 , the 34 " axle to axle one. it is a great bowfishing bow and pretty light for all night holding .

Grover Willis

I never liked the bottle type reels ether. I use a zebco 808 and it works great. A youth model bow works fine to as long as the draw is long enough.

wack em

I think we need a bowfishing sub fourm! What do you guys think?

Seems like there is a fourm for every outdoor activity except bowfishing. Any reason not to have one?

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
won't be long and the water will be on fire guys !!!!

wack em

won't be long and the water will be on fire guys !!!!

I bought a 5hp kicker for my boat today and have taken the troller off. Got all the parts to rig a front drive stick steer device for it and am planning to rig it all up saturday. Hopefully by saturday night the carp will bleed:cool:. Its gonna get up to 60 here saturday and they carp should be all over the banks at dark, I cant wait!

brucemacgee19

:fine::fine::fine::fine::fine::fine::fine:

I wish there was a bowfishing subforum.......... oh the santee is calling me right now............ you know they were killing the hound out of them on santee jan 3 through 12........... big cats already moved into the shallows for a few days. wackem you go to shoot carps?

sleeze

Was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on this, never done it before. Any preference as to what name brand reel set up to go with, type of arrow and general stuff like that... Any help would be great. Thanks guys

If you wanna use a reel. Get a muzzy reel seat and a Muzzy reel.........

BUT the best thing for a beginner, imo or even long time veterans use,,,,, is to get a AMS retriever you do not need a reel seat....mounts right to your bow ..................nothing to mess up, will last for ever.http://www.amsbowfishing.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=263

Muzzy bowfishing arrows and tips are great. I would recommend this with the safety slide.
http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=1020-CSS/182.0.1934.1943.0.0.0

Use the AMS safety slides
...................i do not recommend tying to the back of the arrow.

Let me know or PM me with any other questions.

wack em

:fine::fine::fine::fine::fine::fine::fine:

I wish there was a bowfishing subforum.......... oh the santee is calling me right now............ you know they were killing the hound out of them on santee jan 3 through 12........... big cats already moved into the shallows for a few days. wackem you go to shoot carps?

Yea I shoot anything that is legal on the waters that im on. I probably shoot more carp than anything else over the course of the year. Headin down to Fl. in a few weeks to get after some gar. Im heading out to work on my kicker controls now and if I get it going im gonna go to hartwell and kill some carp and catfish tonight!:bounce:

sleeze

Yea I shoot anything that is legal on the waters that im on. I probably shoot more carp than anything else over the course of the year. Headin down to Fl. in a few weeks to get after some gar. Im heading out to work on my kicker controls now and if I get it going im gonna go to hartwell and kill some carp and catfish tonight!:bounce:

What part of Florida are ya going to shoot?

We are going to Florida in a few weeks to fish, but i am thinking about taking the bow just in case i see something.

wack em

Not real sure the exact spot but somewhere around Tallahassee. Im going with a buddy who has been there before and he says its awesome!

wack em

Good luck Blake. I'm in the middle of building my new boat as well.

Didn't get finished with it yet:banginghe. Oh well I would rather do it right the first time than have it tear up on the water or have to tear it apart later to make adjustments. Got the steering cables and sprocket all setup and adjusted, and would have been on the lake around 1 saturday night but we ran into trouble with the conduit we were trying to use for the throttle cable. Ive got the parts in hand now and should be on the water weekend after next:cool:

Hows yours comming?