Bowhunting from the ground

transfixer

I've hunted from a store bought ground blind during bow season last couple years, and decided it isn't for me, I've killed a couple years ago bowhunting from the ground, using a stool to sit on, that was with a compound bow, I'm using a crossbow now, so the need for room to draw isn't a factor, I'll likely just use one of my leafy suits and sit flat on the ground this year, with my back to a tree or some heavy brush, watching a trail or intersection probably 15 to 25 yds in front of me, good cover scent is imperative, and obviously no movement until the animal is looking elsewhere, even then I've seen them sense movement from me when they were looking the other way.

HogKillaDNR

I hunted from a ground blind some last year, what I didn't like was I felt as if i needed to be up a little so I built a platform 30 inches high and put my ground blind on it. It worked out perfect.

I need you to build me one for mine.

ssramage

I killed my biggest buck ever from the ground, without a blind. To me, it's important to be concealed and comfortable. A lot of times I'll use my turkey lounger seat and back into some brush. I wear full camo just like I'm turkey hunting and practicing drawing when I set up. Clear the leaves from around your spot so that you can move silently if needed.

HabershamHunter85

This is The Untamed guys channel on Youtube showing you how to make a Ghillie suit. These guys kill some monsters from the ground at close range with these suits. I plan on making one but haven't got around to it. They hunt West Virginia a lot, so you kind of get to see some of the same terrain you see in North Ga.

1982ace

I’m a fan of blinds but I have trouble seeing through my peep when shooting right at dusk. It gets dark inside really quick

LTFDretired

I remember getting one of my best Turkeys that was featured online with Buckmasters. It was an Ameristep spring steel pop up blind in ugly green camo back in the day. Got this Tom after weeks of trying and drooped him on May 5th in Missouri, the article was “Cinco De Mayo” that buckmasters lost the article they published when they “ upgraded “ their forum ?

As I approach 66, I’ve found I’m not comfortable climbing trees anymore, but I refuse to give up my bowhunting until I absolutely have to. So I’m hunting from the ground. Any of the rest of you stay low and slow? Share your tricks and experiences.
Last year I had to replace a stand during season so I hunted from the ground for about a month. Just sitting on a stool against a tree. I saw plenty of deer within 30yrds along with 2 bears a day before bear season the trick to me is just to stay as still as possible and move your eyes not your head

Buckhead

Bow hunting from the ground is challenging, whether stalking or stationary from a blind/ambush point. Most effective around food sources with some brush or foliage to conceal your location and movement.

Used to be one of my favored hunting styles, but gave up on it once our property became actively managed for timber. Things are generally wide open or too thick to hunt.

Recently got the itch to try again, but with a crossbow. The crossbow gives me a little more range and obviously, less movement. Will see how things go.

HogKillaDNR

What size are they and how many people can it hold.

HogKillaDNR

Nice, I'm going to look online shortly.

HogKillaDNR

Those are nice, I'm definitely debating on getting one before our Deer Season in Alabama kicks off.

diamondback

I have hunted on the ground for many years. There aren’t many other ways to hunt young planted pines and more and more I find deer feel more secure in areas there are no trees to climb. I started out hunting on 5 gallon buckets but now use a dove stool with a back support. One thing I have figured out lately is instead of sitting with your back to a tree, sit with the tree in front of you That way you are hid and can get away with some movement. Keep head movement to a minimum. A natural blind will work but I don’t like moving a lot of stuff around that will alert the deer.