Box trap trigger ideas..?

sleepr71

I am about to put a couple of box traps out...and am wondering how you guys rig yours to drop the trap door? I’ve got hogs going everywhere..but into the Corral traps already in place on our property ?..and figure I’ll put a few box traps into the new areas they are tearing up :rockon:

sleepr71

Yep.. I need some ideas like that, that hopefully something the size of a hog will trip, but not raccoons and a squirrel that may go in there. Last year raccoons were tripping those trap doors and making them fall so much that it just got too aggravating and I quit using any box trips.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
For a drop door, a 16 penny nail holding it open with a line going Over the trap and down to the bottom of the trap where the bait is. Tied off one time and it’s an ez set. Reconfigure for a swing door, but the principle is the same. Mac likes to be creative and his fancy cut Out is something he prolly came up with one day while he was widdlin.:bounce:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
For a drop door, a 16 penny nail holding it open with a line going Over the trap and down to the bottom of the trap where the bait is. Tied off one time and it’s an ez set. Reconfigure for a swing door, but the principle is the same. Mac likes to be creative and his fancy cut Out is something he prolly came up with one day while he was widdlin.:bounce:
??
I’ve done lots of different ones.
I figured that was the easier one. 90D5DBE2-0496-4F95-82DB-3F6F8D815FEC.jpeg

sleepr71

Main problem I have is Raccoons tripping the doors. I think I need to figure out something that’s higher than a Raccoon & only an adult Hog will bump/trip it ?

frankwright

root-stick.jpg
I have seen this root stick design work. Hog will nose it out of the way to get to the corn. I don't think coons can trip it.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I don’t think that Coon will push out that pvc pipe, unless the inside has some stink in it.

sleepr71

I copied Kmacs first idea. Simple,easy to trip & strong enough to keep the door elevated,but drop it in a split second? I set the horizontal “trip” rod at about 16” high. Unless a Coon stands up..they shouldn’t touch it/bump it hard enough to trip the Door. Nor should a small Hog?

watermedic

A root stick works good also. Just drive it a little deeper to keep racoons and deer from tripping it.

rosewood

You don't hold it up or set a trigger. You leave them shut, the hogs will push them open and go in, works like a check valve. Caught plenty of hogs that way. If you will leave it blocked open for awhile, let them get used to going in, then close it, they will root their way in there and cannot get out. Caught 9 on one occasion and 8 on another in the same trap just like that. I think it is the mob mentality, they see one in there eating and the rest have to pile in.

Rosewood