Boykin questions

mcallum3

I have started to put some thought into getting my 4 year old son his first dog. Then realized that I better do some research and not just jump into something. I had originally thought about a Lab due to the fact that I like to be in a duck blind and also after watching a club member's lab work the pond last year. I almost enjoyed that more than shooting at the ducks. Then started to think about dove season right around the corner and remembered a dog out in the field doing some of the retrieving last year and, once again, really enjoyed seeing that as well. It won't be long until my son will be my hunting buddy on these duck and dove outings and then "his" dog will be able to accompany us. Like I said, I originally started thinking about a Lab, but the more I read about the Boykins the more I am impressed with them. I especially like their smaller size over the Labs, and Hairy Dawgs "Reese" sure is a pretty little thing. So I now have a few questions that hopefully someone can help with.

1) How are boykins at waterfowl retrieving and if "good", do they have problems with something large like a goose?

2) Can they be a hunting dog as well as a loyal companion? If I could only have one it would be the companion, but I would like both.

3) What kind of life expectancy do they have?

4) Most importantly, are they kid-friendly, as this will be for my four year old son.

60Grit

1) How are boykins at waterfowl retrieving and if "good", do they have problems with something large like a goose?

Mine was very good at ducks, never tried geese.

mcallum said:
2) Can they be a hunting dog as well as a loyal companion? If I could only have one it would be the companion, but I would like both.

Mine was also very birdy and worked a field harder than most labs.

mcallum said:
3) What kind of life expectancy do they have?

12 to 16 years.

mcallum said:
4) Most importantly, are they kid-friendly, as this will be for my four year old son.

They are awesome kid companions, very tender hearted. In fact, some of the rougher lab training habits will not work with these dogs, they will shut down on you.

Ths dog hunts!!

Mine was always good with ducks, Yes, he drug a few geese, The one I got in th pen hasn't had a problem with anything yet!! They tend to bond on one person, They're the finest hunting companions I've ever seen!! There's a fellar up on the north side of Hartwell, that guides goose hunts, uses only Boykins!! I've probrably seen hundereds of them, Very few aggressive!! As to life Expectancy, The one under the headstone in my backyard, was 15 B4 he gave up!!!!! By the Way, I know Personally Several good breeders!!

LKennamer

good choice

In my experience, the only Boykin my family has had that didn't do well with ducks was the one we never worked on water retrieves with. I just don't think she knew she could pick them up, she could swim fine. That said, she was the best (I do mean the best) dove retriever I have ever hunted with. They are extremely good tempered, and are usually very intelligent. Sometimes too intelligent if you know what I mean! I have had a lab for almost 13 years, always used one of my dad's Boykins for dove and ducks, since we usually hunt together anyway. Got a female pup out of one of his litters last year, this will be her first hunting season, can hardly wait to get her on the field!

ejs1980

If I get another bird dog it will be a boykin. I've never seen one retrieve geese but if an english cocker can handle ducks I imagine the boykin would do fine with geese. I doubt you'll be dissapointed with one but if you want to see one dissapointed in you miss a gimme shot on a duck from the blind. It'll just give you the look but you'll know what it means.. They are smart and have a great personality.

ttowndawg

my boykin has no problem picking up ducks in the creek, river, or on a pond from a blind... although when she was younger the concept of current got her confused and she would swim out into the lake and think the bumper would drift to her as it would in the river but she quickly figured out it would not. she definitly works a dove field harder than any lab i have ever hunted with her drive and will is ridiculous... if companionship is what your looking for a boykin is a great fit as well mine sleeps at the foot of my bed every night and will never let me out of her sight just be careful correcting a boykin they do not take well to harsh criticism... i will never own another type of dog except a boykin they are great hunters and friends and their size just makes them the perfect fit for my lifestyle

MudDucker

Staff member
My boykin was very birdy and a willing retriever. However, she was a little hyper for a small kid. Never saw a mean bone in her body, but she had more energy and liked to jump up and down.

Hairy Dawg

Thanks for the comments on Reese. He is 14 weeks old now and has well over 100 water retrieves from 8 different sources. I have a 6 year old, and 11 year old boys, and he is great around them. One other thing that has not been mentioned is the fact that the boykin has the softest mouth of any breed you will find. As far as retrieving geese, it would probably depend on the size of the final product. The mother to Reese is about 32 lbs., which is on the light side, but they do get up to about 50 lbs. His mother could/would retrieve a goose, but she might have to drag it once she hit land, where a 50 lb. dog would probably be able to carry it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

littletime

To add to all these comments. You basically can't go wrong if you choose a boykin. Mine has been easy to train, loves people, extremely gently, and I can't imagine them being the slightest bit aggresive. i promise if you get a boykin you won't ever want another dog.

Esylivin

I've had mine retrieve geese without missing a beat. He is right at the weight limit for the breed standard (40 lbs). Due to their desire to please they will find a way to make the retrieve. I hunt ducks, geese, pheasants, dove and quail never had less than 100% effort out of him. Great water dog and exceptional upland hunter. Great family pet, loves attention from kids. After a hard day of hunting we usually curl up on the couch and watch his favorite hunting shows. Best all around dog I have ever owned. With the number 2 Boykin in the nation, http://www.boykinspaniel.org/2008_national_field_trial_results.html, I am a little bias.

rex upshaw

i grew up having a boykin....my dad got one after watching how well one did on a dove hunt. those dogs are great and are wonderful with children as well. perfect temperment. we lost ours about 3 years ago, she was 15.

BOB_HARWELL

'ALL PUPS', jump, bite & scratch. This may be a small problem for a 4 y.o. but correction can keep it to a minimum & pup will out grow that habit.
Leting your dog live inside will form a stronger bond with you & family. Good luck.

BOB

mcallum3

Thanks everyone

Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the help, I have pretty much decided that a Boykin is in my sons future. I think it will be a perfect fit us. A co-workers father-in-law has one and I have for years heard stories about the things this dog has done and it became very obvious that they are very intelligent animals. It seems that Boykins are a much talked about dog, After I posted my questions I did a search on the forum and realized that all the questions I had asked had already been asked before. At any rate thanks to everyone.
Perry

91xjgawes

i love mine

jake3.jpg

fi8shmasty

My brother has had one for about 6 years, pretty good hunter, but it loves dirty under wear, Any underwear. Has had hin to the vet several times to remove said/dirty underwear,....
I think it is just the way he trained him though. A dog normally is only as good as the guy/Gal that trained it.

Cheers.

MudDucker

Staff member
To add to all these comments. You basically can't go wrong if you choose a boykin. Mine has been easy to train, loves people, extremely gently, and I can't imagine them being the slightest bit aggresive. i promise if you get a boykin you won't ever want another dog.

I actually have a good friend with a male boykin that is pretty agressive. It has nipped his kid a couple of good times. Seems that this particular local line of boykins is known for it, but danged if this dog don't perform in the field.