Brass being scored by magazine

Ruger roo

Just want to get some opinions before I sue armscor in small claims court. I recently purchased a rock island arms 1911 10mm and the magazine is scoring the base of my brass(enough to catch my nail). I was told this is normal and was fine. Personally I’ve never bought a handgun that the mag has done this, they refuse to even have it sent back to examine. Is this normal and I was just lucky the last few decades? Here’s the full response sorry for long thread. I’m sure I could sand edges down but being it’s brand new didn’t want to mess with the warranty.

First, I must apologize for the delayed response, as we have been inundated with Customer service requests, for information, replacement parts, repairs, questions, etc. We are working diligently to keep up with our customer's issues and trying to resolve the issues in a professional and timely manner while being understaffed.

I talked to the gunsmith about this he said that is normal. If you have any other questions the gunsmith can give you a call.

We will be short-staffed this week due to Shot Show week so we will be expecting some delays.

Thank you!

Pedro

Attachments

• 6C50F518-F1F0-4E10-AF7F-8E8C8174847C.jpeg
    6C50F518-F1F0-4E10-AF7F-8E8C8174847C.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 60

trial&error

I can't see what you described in your pic. There's a certain amount of rubbing to be expected, but there should be no scoring, maybe some light scratching.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I see a scratch but it doesn't look bad.
does it do it with another magazine?
are the feed lips rough to the feel?

rosewood

I would take some fine sand paper and do a little polishing on the underside of the lips. Lots of folks do this to improve feeding.

Rosewood

Ruger roo

I can't see what you described in your pic. There's a certain amount of rubbing to be expected, but there should be no scoring, maybe some light scratching.
Kinda hard to get a good pic, I can replicate with just thumbing the round out of magazine. It’s deep enough to grab my nail after 100 rounds cycled through.

Ruger roo

I would take some fine sand paper and do a little polishing on the underside of the lips. Lots of folks do this to improve feeding.

Rosewood
I know, just tired of buying stuff new and having to work on it to get it functional. Seems it would be no problem to switch a mag out. I was told that they had good customer service but seems there overwhelmed by poor quality control

Jester896

Senior Clown
Only got one mag, purchased another brand waiting on it. Definitely the lip is sharp.
most of them are stamped and that could leave a sharp edge. From what I see on the case in the picture...if I am seeing it right.. it looks like the lips did it. Pull the mag apart to get the follower out of your way and catch the underside of the lip to get the rough edge off...won't do anything but help.

Or just wait until that new spring looses a little of the tension and it will stop ;).

Enjoy you new pistola

Big7

The Oracle
Ive got some of their 9MM but haven't tried it yet.

Keep us posted.
Thanks

Lilly001

I know, just tired of buying stuff new and having to work on it to get it functional. Seems it would be no problem to switch a mag out. I was told that they had good customer service but seems there overwhelmed by poor quality control
Unfortunately customer service can’t please everyone. Although some companies do seem to try harder than others.
Also, I don’t think I’ve bought a new gun in recent memory that I didn’t “clean up” or slightly modify in some manner to meet my personal whims.
My new Kimber 1911, as an example, fine gun. Ran great when I first shot it.
Buttt…. I felt the urge to polish the feed ramps ( looked ok but I do it on almost all my autoloaders) and add an extended slide release.
No fault to Kimber. It’s just me wanting to “personalize “ my gun.

Ruger roo

Unfortunately customer service can’t please everyone. Although some companies do seem to try harder than others.
Also, I don’t think I’ve bought a new gun in recent memory that I didn’t “clean up” or slightly modify in some manner to meet my personal whims.
My new Kimber 1911, as an example, fine gun. Ran great when I first shot it.
Buttt…. I felt the urge to polish the feed ramps ( looked ok but I do it on almost all my autoloaders) and add an extended slide release.
No fault to Kimber. It’s just me wanting to “personalize “ my gun.
If I didn’t reload I would think twice about it. but I reloaded almost every caliber pistol and rifle I’ve ever owned and never once seen this. Reloading scored cases at the bottom seems alittle dangerous(to me)especially multiple scores.

Ruger roo

I see a scratch but it doesn't look bad.
does it do it with another magazine?
are the feed lips rough to the feel?
Just got my brand new Wilson combat magazine no scores but now a little nub on the follower that hangs up the last round causing the round to stick half way in mag and jam. Lol can’t win.

rosewood

Just got my brand new Wilson combat magazine no scores but now a little nub on the follower that hangs up the last round causing the round to stick half way in mag and jam. Lol can’t win.
File off the nub. Yeah, I agree, a new product should work. But often they don't and it is easier to fix yourself than fight with and or wait on customer service.

Rosewood