Brassicas came in good (pics) ...

ChattBuck

. . planted a month ago. Top dressed with nitrogen this weekend. Got a big rain last night on it so should be good to go. Got spread a little more dense than I think it should and I'll rectify that next year.

Will till up rest of the field and put in some winter wheat in next couple of weeks.

Attachments

• Brassica1.jpg
    Brassica1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Brassica 3.jpg
    Brassica 3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Brassica 4.jpg
    Brassica 4.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 151

Ihunt

Looks great. I can grow beautiful brassica plots but I can’t get the deer to eat them. Hope they chow down on yours

ChattBuck

Looks great. I can grow beautiful brassica plots but I can’t get the deer to eat them. Hope they chow down on yours

First time doing them. Have read pretty extensively on them and many do report that it can take a couple of years before the deer take to them. Several suggest putting forage they are used to next to it so that they are more likely to sample it and figure out it's edible.

In a 5 acre field I've got 3-3.5 acres of brassicas. Going to put winter wheat in the remaining area. They wore that wheat out last winter so hoping it keeps them in the field this winter. If i'm lucky they'll eat the brassicas.

Ihunt

First time doing them. Have read pretty extensively on them and many do report that it can take a couple of years before the deer take to them. Several suggest putting forage they are used to next to it so that they are more likely to sample it and figure out it's edible.

In a 5 acre field I've got 3-3.5 acres of brassicas. Going to put winter wheat in the remaining area. They wore that wheat out last winter so hoping it keeps them in the field this winter. If i'm lucky they'll eat the brassicas.
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

What does the top dress of nitrogen do for the plant? Looks awesome by the way

ChattBuck

What does the top dress of nitrogen do for the plant? Looks awesome by the way

Evidently these boogers are nitrogen hogs. Much like corn. So top dressing them with some 34-0-0 a month after they've come up does a lot to continue/accentuate growth.
I've never done this before so I don't speak from experience but it's mentioned in a lot of the reading I did about these plots and someone much smarter than me on this forum recommended it as well.

ChattBuck

Brassicas now in the ground 7 weeks.

Hit them with nitrogen 3 weeks ago. They've done very well.

Clear strips have winter wheat coming up.

Attachments

• Brassicapostnitrogen.jpg
    Brassicapostnitrogen.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 44
  • brassicapostnitrogen2.jpg
    brassicapostnitrogen2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Brasssicapostnitrogen2.jpg
    Brasssicapostnitrogen2.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts