Braves 2020 Season Thread

Coenen

Got off the river last night, and turned the game on just in time for the Ozuna HR, my face about cracked when they dropped the 11-1 scoreline on me. That'll make you smile.
Has Riley's landed yet?
Call NORAD, they're probably still tracking it. When you watch it, the catcher lines up for the down and away slider to try and put Riley away on the 0-2 count, that ball was the definition of a cement mixer slider. Started right down the middle and never moved. Riley punished that sucker.

Addressing the rules changes, I think the universal DH is probably happening in the next CBA whether we like it or not, and it's probably for the best. Pitchers are more inept at the bat than ever before, and better on the mound than ever before. I guess I'd rather see a professional hitter up there than some guy who's gonna get blown away 9 out of 10 times.

I'm not opposed to the new extra-inning rule, but if it were to become permanent, I think I'd like to see it instituted after at least a couple innings of "traditional" extras. Can't get the game decided after the 10th or 11th? Start the 12th with the man on second.

Here's an article from Fangraphs that goes into a little more detail.

Apparently most extra-inning affairs are decided in 11 or fewer innings. Give the players that window, and if the matter still isn't decided, get the runner on second and let the game reach a conclusion.

biggdogg

I'm probably in the minority with the universal DH, but there are MAYBE 6-8 pitchers in the league that can actually swing a bat. The vast majority of pitchers go up, take three half-hearted hacks and go sit down. I would MUCH rather see Ozuna, Adams or Riley as a DH than watch Folty, Fried or Soroka make a fool of themselves.

And I love the three batter minimum for relievers. I never could stand the 'Tony LaRussa" style of bullpen management.

Coenen

I'm probably in the minority with the universal DH, but there are MAYBE 6-8 pitchers in the league that can actually swing a bat. The vast majority of pitchers go up, take three half-hearted hacks and go sit down. I would MUCH rather see Ozuna, Adams or Riley as a DH than watch Folty, Fried or Soroka make a fool of themselves.

And I love the three batter minimum for relievers. I never could stand the 'Tony LaRussa" style of bullpen management.
The reliever rule is a good one, I think. If you're (allegedly) an MLB caliber pitcher, you should be able to get both righties and lefties out; point blank, period. 3-batters or end of inning still leaves room to play matchups if the situation dictates, but will hopefully limit some of the over specialization.

Interleague play becoming permanent was probably the death knell for pitchers hitting. Mandating 8 series per year playing different rules is silly. The AL teams are essentially batting 8 guys instead of nine when in an NL venue, and the NL teams can't justify the investment in a true DH for comparatively few games in AL ballparks. With the interleague cat not likely to go back in the proverbial bag, universal DH makes sense.

biggdogg

Part of the problem with the pitchers ability to actually use a bat is that independent leagues are the only systems above High School ball that don't use the DH. The vast majority of pitchers leave high school and don't pick up a bat again until they find their name on an NL roster.

It's the nature of the game now. Offense is what sells the tickets. There is zero strategy involved in what is essentially a 7 man lineup because 90% of the time, the 8 hole hitter either doesn't see anything remotely resembling a strike or just gets the 4 fingers waved from the dugout so that the other team can get to the designated out. For every Madison Bumgarner, who can flat out rake, you have 15 Folty's that don't even know which end of the bat goes in their hand.

Last edited:

DSGB

Folty was designated for assignment last night. Velocity has been down and he's a power pitcher. Think anyone claims him or does he get another chance with the Braves?

biggdogg

I'm sure someone will claim him and take a flyer on him. The Braves will probably get "cash considerations" for him at best, or more likely a player to be named that will never make the roster.

Patriot44

Banned
Folty had to go- too much of a roller coaster ride and be also looks sick. Hope that he is well. I like watching these young guns give it their all. Reminds me somewhat of circa 1991ish.

westcobbdog

Face it guys we have little to none effective starting pitching short of the young guy Siroka. If our starters can’t make it outta the 3rd or 4th inning every game we will soon tax our somewhat deep pen.

DannyW

Face it guys we have little to none effective starting pitching short of the young guy Siroka. If our starters can’t make it outta the 3rd or 4th inning every game we will soon tax our somewhat deep pen.

Yeah, I remember 3-4-5 years ago the Braves farm system was the talk of the league with all their young pitchers. All they needed was time to develop and we would have a 1990's caliber rotation.

Well...time has passed and with the exception of Soroka, and maybe Fried, it has not worked out as planned. All those teenaged prospects are now 22-23-24 years old and are getting hammered in their limited major league playing time.

It won't be long before AA has to make some painful decisions on these "phenom" prospects. And he may have already begun with the move to DFA Folty.

westcobbdog

The Rays arms are very impressive, Power Righty with nasty gas followed by a guy with a volley of nasty sliders slinging it from the hip then back to a power Lefty with crazy ball movement, all working right around the plate, vs our guy say Luke Jackson where his pitches are a easy read, a ball, most time right outta his hand.

AceOfTheBase

Yah, their pitchers were good but our guys are paid the big bucks to hit them anyway..
Like Freddies's approach, "see ball - hit ball"

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Like many say, teams can never have too much starting pitching. Expecting desperate teams in need of a starter will consider Folty & invest a month in trying to get him back to being major league ready. Disappointing how old Cole Hamels kept stringing Braves mgmt. along to get a big contract but continuing to have regular excuses about injuries & finally going on the 45-day DL knowing he probably will not be major league ready again.

Braves pitching continues giving up lots of HR's like last season, but at least that calmed down yesterday.

Braves batters showing they can be really good at striking out, even Freddie had 4-strikeouts yesterday at the DH, while previous games lots of players striking 3-times in a game, & delivering 19-strikeouts in 1st game with a great top tier Rays team.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/kyle-wright-struggles-in-loss-to-rays

Braves know they should soon receive more from Acuña, who has recorded three hits and struck out 12 times through his first 21 at-bats

same can be said for Freeman, who hasn’t fared much better, going 2-for-14 with just one extra-base hit

Braves have struck out a National League-high 64 times as they have spent their first five games facing a bevy of frontline starters

BornToHuntAndFish

Coenen

Good win tonight. How about that play by Riley to ice it?

DannyW

Markakis is coming back

I'm guessing he has set a career goal of 3,000 hits, and he can't afford to miss any time...and he is 645 hits short right now. Can he make it?

He is 36 YO and he would need 4 years with an average of 160 hits per year. For his career he has averaged 168/year. Personally I think he will come up just short...maybe 2,800-2,900. Which is a shame because I really like Nick...he has always done it the right way...kept his head down and his mouth shut.

If somehow he makes it to 3,000, it will create a dilemma for the HOF voters. There are only 2 MLB players with 3,000 career hits who are not in the HOF. One is Rafael Palmeiro, who has been shut out of the HOF because of his steroid use/suspension. The other is...you guessed it...Charlie Hustle...and we all know why he is not in the HOF.

Even if Nick gets to 3,000, I doubt he gets voted to the HOF. His only other credentials are he has 3 gold gloves, and one all-star season...not the gaudy stats that HOF voters like.