Braves 2020 Season Thread

BornToHuntAndFish

In case you have not heard the latest update on Max Fried's ankle injury . . .

Eis8-y9XYAY98tM

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I can’t believe what I’m reading ?

Well, for starters there really wasn't a mid season or All Star break for them to collapse after. Then the bats got hot and stayed hot. Freeman is white hot. The defense is rock solid. Combined Swanson and Albies have a total of 3 errors for the whole season, short though it is. As far as pitching, it's a basket case but they hang tough and get outs. Jackson, who I've never really liked had several solid innings of 1-2-3 pitching last night and looked confident doing it.

To top it off, like I said it's a screwy year. I figured they would have a good year this year but the Ronas has put a whole new twist on everything. Maybe the Braves play their best ball with no fans in the stands?

BornToHuntAndFish

Everybody in the batting order is a threat to go deep or beat out a seeing eye single

Our bullpen has been pitching in early as well as late innings all season long so hopefully they are used to tag team pitching by now. They are good enough to keep things close and give the bats a chance. They say pitching wins games but the important number on the scoreboard is runs.

That's my hopes for Braves' playoffs. If tag team pitching between starters & relievers keeps us competitive & in the games while even sometimes adding good surprises, then explosive bats support by delivering runs from anywhere in the lineup, Atlanta could finally turn back into a post-season team & hopefully have a deep run potentially.

Appears we are seeing more changes in the lineup tonight with Freddie & d'Arnaud getting a rest break.

No starting pitching annc'ts yet for the final regular season Saturday & Sunday games, but as in recent past, expecting Ynoa, Wilson, & Tomlin to be in the mix.

EiyNB1fX0AEQnMZ

Eiy3g5NWsAEq2n1

EDIT UPDATE . . .

Acuna's HUGE Humongous 495-ft game lead-off HomeRun may be his career longest while sports radio game report stated it was too high for Statcast to measure.:hair: Sports radio says this was Acuna's 19th lead-off HR.

34-seconds

:bounce:

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Another nice start for Kyle Wright retiring the first 12-batters in 4-innings with Braves bats delivering timely runs when needed to extend the game into extra innings, but resting Freeman comes off the bench in the 9th-inning & delivers an 11th-inning walk-off 2-run HR for a close win.

Eiz83eDXgAEAXTg

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=401226529

Freeman's 2-run HR in 11th lifts Braves past Red Sox, 8-7

Freddie Freeman hit a two-run homer to lead off the 11th inning and the Atlanta Braves beat the ...

WIN
S. Greene(1-0)
1.0 IP, 0 ER, 0 K, 1 BB

M. Ozuna ATL - LF
3-4, 2B, 2 RBI

R. Acuna Jr. ATL - CF
1-4, HR, RBI

F. Freeman ATL - PH-1B
1-1, HR, 2 RBI

1st Acuña Jr. homered to left center (495 feet).

5th Bradley Jr. homered to center (447 feet).

8th Ozuna singled to left center, Hechavarria scored and Markakis scored, Acuña Jr. to third.

8th Acuña Jr. scored on error, Duvall safe at first on throwing error by third baseman Devers, Ozuna safe at third on error.

10th Albies singled to left, Acuña Jr. scored.

10th Swanson doubled to deep right, Albies scored.

11th Freeman homered to left center (415 feet), Inciarte scored.

41-seconds, Freeman 415-ft 2-run walk-off HR

26-seconds, Swanson RBI Double to tie game in 10th-inning

28-seconds, Ozuna 2 RBI Single for the lead in 8th-inning

8-seconds, Wright 4-strikeouts & 3-start summary

18-seconds, Wright's Game Summary

Eiz_unAXcAAdPjZ

Eiy6TmFXgAEPxHi

EixZ3xjXcAIJ6h-

vbdh6akfiuk3wbube54g.jpg

DannyW

With what he did last night, Freddie should be the MVP. How do you define "most valuable" any better than coming in to pinch hit in the 11th and hitting a 2-run walk off homer?

But sadly I think Tatis will get it. He has the flash and he shows the emotions that many think now defines the sport (like Acuna). Freddie never shows up a pitcher by flipping his bat, respects the umps, and in general never draws attention to himself. All he does is quietly produce bat after bat, year after year.

Hope I'm wrong...

biggdogg

With what he did last night, Freddie should be the MVP. How do you define "most valuable" any better than coming in to pinch hit in the 11th and hitting a 2-run walk off homer?

But sadly I think Tatis will get it. He has the flash and he shows the emotions that many think now defines the sport (like Acuna). Freddie never shows up a pitcher by flipping his bat, respects the umps, and in general never draws attention to himself. All he does is quietly produce bat after bat, year after year.

Hope I'm wrong...

I hope you're wrong too. But I don't think you are.

BornToHuntAndFish

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Ouch! Very rough 2nd-inning giving up only 8-runs.o_Ofacepalm:

:waggingfinger:

biggdogg

Only 2 earned runs though (not that it makes it any better), when Hecchevaria makes a blunder, it seems to lead to a BIG inning. Happened last night with Melancon pitching too...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That one was ugly. Today is the end of the regular season. I hope the Braves finish strong.

biggdogg

That one was ugly. Today is the end of the regular season. I hope the Braves finish strong.

Hopefully Riley's quad strain is taken care of before Wednesday. I'd hate to think our hot corner fortunes would be resting on Hecchevaria for the postseason.

BornToHuntAndFish

Changes in today's lineup which is the 2nd version for the final game of the regular season.

Gonna try out new arriving Sandoval today at 3rd base while also resting Acuna with his left wrist irritation.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/pablo-sandoval-activated-by-braves

Sandoval activated, starts at 3B for Braves

19 minutes ago

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/austin-riley-to-miss-rest-of-regular-season

Riley (quad) to miss end of regular season

Ei8QH7EXsAEKAk0

BornToHuntAndFish

All this experimenting before the playoffs was getting old fast. Braves pitchers carrying on the tradition of giving away homeruns like the 4-HR's today is no fun. 7th-inning with Luke Jackson giving away 5-hits & 5-runs was rough. Looking forward to Atlanta getting as healthy as they can before post-season play begins on Wednesday.

westcobbdog

Hope we don’t lose our hard fought mojo by coasting the last series.
Someone dissed us with a 12 noon game time.
Also nervous about Cincy having a top 3 in the league strikeout staff and our team mostly a strike out or homer lineup.

biggdogg

Bauer is the front runner for the Cy Young. The Braves offense has made most every ace they've faced look foolish this season. With the Chi Sox and Indians being the only real offensive teams in either Central division, I don't see the Braves handling the Reds rotation any differently than the ones they've faced in a much tougher division pitching wise (AL/NL East).

BornToHuntAndFish

Post-season roster & today's lineup released . . .

Notice who's not on the Braves playoff roster.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/braves-set-roster-for-for-nl-wild-card-series

25 minutes ago

Here is the Braves' full Wild Card Series roster:

Pitchers (13): Max Fried, Ian Anderson, Kyle Wright, Tyler Matzek, Mark Melancon, Chris Martin, Will Smith, Shane Greene, Darren O’Day, A.J. Minter, Jacob Webb, Grant Dayton, Josh Tomlin

Catchers (3): Travis d’Arnaud, Tyler Flowers, William Contreras

Infielders (7): Freddie Freeman, Ozzie Albies, Dansby Swanson, Austin Riley, Charlie Culberson, Pablo Sandoval, Johan Camargo

Outfielders (5): Ronald Acuña Jr., Marcell Ozuna, Adam Duvall, Nick Markakis, Cristian Pache

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjKz9fcXcAQdHFe?format=jpg (lineup image)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjKvTieXgAI5e1H?format=jpg (roster image)

Last edited:

biggdogg

Looking at Bauer's game by game stats, he faced only one good offensive team all season. He faced the Chi Sox and lost. He didn't face the Twins or the Indians, the only other two offensive minded teams in either Central division. I like our chances.

DSGB

There goes the no hitter lol

1st and 3rd nobody out

DSGB

Fried gets out of it with no harm done.

Reds are swinging the bats early.