Braves 2020 Season Thread

DannyW

This was the game right here.That was some stupid base running by Dumb and Dumber. The Dodgers said “ thank you “!

Not to beat a dead horse but yeah...that was big. It meant the LAD got 27 outs vs the Braves only 25.

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

westcobbdog

Heard AA today caution we likely won't able to resign Marcel O., which is troubling news and if the Liberty Media / NY yankee sons of guns shoots this deal down it would hurt us badly. .he's got more years left in him.

DannyW

Call me a romantic, but one day I still hope to see a free agent say "despite the NYY offering me 100 gazillion dollars, I just feel more comfortable playing for the (insert small market team name here) for 4 years at $60 million." In other words, playing for a team they want to play for instead of playing for the team offering the highest money.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Well after watching the WS I do think the Braves were the 2nd best team in baseball for 2020. Could have been a different story with soroka and maybe 1 more solid starter. So the future is bright.... We just gotta get thru the Yankees of the west now

killerv

Call me a romantic, but one day I still hope to see a free agent say "despite the NYY offering me 100 gazillion dollars, I just feel more comfortable playing for the (insert small market team name here) for 4 years at $60 million." In other words, playing for a team they want to play for instead of playing for the team offering the highest money.

romantic and stupid, I'd take 100 gazzillion over 60 mil any day!

just messing with ya

BornToHuntAndFish

Last edited:

Duff

Yes!!! Frrreeeeddddiie!!

Coenen

Well deserved. Guy has been quietly GREAT for years. He's still got the opportunity for more, especially if the Braves continue to contend.

One of my favorite sports writers likes to say, "It's always about the money, and when they say it's not about the money, that's when it's REALLY about the money."

DSGB

Congrats to Freddie!

BornToHuntAndFish

Braves continue signing free agents . . .

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/drew-smyly-braves-deal

Smyly inks one-year, $11M deal with Braves

2:04 PM EST

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/josh-tomlin-returns-with-braves-deal

Tomlin returns to Braves on 1-yr deal

November 11, 2020

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30331027/atlanta-braves-sign-lefty-drew-smyly-one-year-11m-deal

He had Tommy John surgery in 2017 and spent most of the 2018 season recovering.

Smyly was born in Gainesville, Georgia, about an hour's drive north of Atlanta, and grew up a Braves fan. He said the team was at the top of his list when he became a free agent.

"This is an upside play, no doubt about it,'' general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "Obviously, we'll find out eight months from now, 10 months from now how it worked out. But we think Drew has tremendous upside. He's only scratched the surface.''

"We feel like he's just about to really emerge to have the best years of his career,'' the GM said "Once we made that determination, we signed him to a healthy, strong deal. Hopefully all sides will win and he'll have a great year.''

Last edited:

biggdogg

I'm ok with the Smyly signing. He should be a solid mid-rotation guy. Not sure about the amount of his deal, but I guess we'll see.

I've seen where AA is looking at Adam Wainwright as well. He also appears to be in steady contact with Ozuna and Melancon and possibly talking to Michael Brantley as well. And there still seems to be those Kris Bryant rumors too...

DannyW

And there still seems to be those Kris Bryant rumors too...

The Braves have been linked to several potential 3B trades. Besides Bryant, Kyle Seager of the Mariners and Eduardo Escobar of the D-Backs are supposedly in play. Not sure if AA is serious about moving on from Austin Riley, or if he is just window shopping.

FWIW Escobar and Seager will be 32-33 next season, and IMO not much of an upgrade to Riley. Bryant is another matter altogether.

DannyW

To be clear...I am perfectly fine giving Riley another year at 3rd. He has not even played a full season in MLB (131 games) and the start of his career has been weird...calling him up mid-season in 2019 and then playing him in the outfield...then there was this Covid season...or whatever you call a stretch of 60 games.

This year he showed better pitch recognition and lowered his strike out rate from 39% to 26% (still high but he only has 503 MLB at-bats). He plays a solid defensive 3rd base...not a liability there. I think he has ceiling left and could develop into a .260-.270 hitter who gives you 25-30 HR's and 80-90 RBIs while playing an above average 3rd base.

But if Kris Bryant could be had, and extended, for a reasonable price...

biggdogg

IF you can get Bryant for a reasonable prospect package, and IF you can extend his contract, then jump on it. I don't have a problem moving Riley to LF to keep his bat (which will improve) in the lineup. The only hang up with a possible extension for Bryant, which won't be cheap, will be that guy across the diamond that the Braves will most certainly be looking to get under another contract in the next couple months...

BornToHuntAndFish

Nice having AA adding free agent starting pitching options during the off-season.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/charlie-morton-deal-with-braves

Morton reunites with Braves on 1-year deal

More than a decade after his departure, Charlie Morton is returning to Atlanta to join a Braves rotation that has been significantly strengthened in the past week.

Continuing to make early noise in what has otherwise been a quiet free-agent market, Atlanta signed Morton to a one-year, $15 million contract on Tuesday. This deal comes just a week after the team gave left-hander Drew Smyly a one-year, $11 million deal.

EnmJMbcWMAkggzt

biggdogg

I really like this signing. Morton in the middle and Smyly at the back of the rotation should take a ton of pressure off of the kids. I'd like to see Greene and/or Melancon back and add a thumper to the middle of the order to round out the roster.

I have read that AA is planning on putting a multi year offerl on the table for Ozuna in the next few weeks...

westcobbdog

Looks like we won’t be so rag tag this next season with some decent starters now in place vs a few starters and a deep pen. Still in desperate need of a power bat behind Freddie.