Braves 2021 Season Thread

BornToHuntAndFish

Nice having the Braves return home against lesser struggling opponents to get back to some needed winning momentum as Atlanta claims the win with a walk-off double play, despite the bullpen giving up 4-runs in the 7th-inning but bullpen gets the win anyway.

Nice also getting some help from the Brewers tonight OMG clobbering the Phillies 10-0.

E-uyYA4XsAMgGwR

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401229136

Box Score

O. Albies ATL - 2B
2-3, HR, 4 RBI

A. Duvall ATL - LF-CF-RF
1-3, HR, 3 RBI

WIN
L. Jackson(2-2)
1.1 IP, 0 ER, 3 K, 0 BB

SAVE
W. Smith(31)
1.0 IP, 0 ER, 0 K, 0 BB

1st - Kieboom singled to right center, Escobar scored, Bell to second.

1st - Duvall homered to left (428 feet), Albies scored and Freeman scored.

3rd - d'Arnaud doubled to center, Freeman scored, Duvall thrown out at home.

4th - Albies hit sacrifice fly to center, Swanson scored.

7th - Soto singled to right center, Thomas scored, Escobar to third.

7th - Hernández homered to left center (395 feet), Escobar scored and Soto scored.

7th - Albies homered to center (418 feet), Rosario scored.

8th - Albies singled to left, Swanson scored.

44-seconds

E-uuvFQWEAANm8v

E-t6h0uWEAA7V9g

E-uv0m7XoAcuulz

E-t5KgSX0AI0xRf

Before game below . . .
E-r805_WQAQxB5y

E-t2l0ZXIAA4Wov

E-n8VQTWEAIQlbF

E-nS_vQXsAY-MhT

E-n2ho_XEAkdbuA

E-nqI63XoAMEARC

Braves twitter below . . .
E-nl-0NX0AYoYkq

DannyW

You know what past Braves pitcher Morton reminds me of? Tim Hudson. A late career guy who toes the rubber every 5 days, and keeps his team in the game for 6 innings every time. Not spectacular, just a solid pitcher.

I look forward to another year or two of Charlie Morton.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I take back any good I said about Matzek (4 runs in 23 pitches), still on the fence with Jackson & Smith
Dang I wouldn't want to work for you ?, he's been the pride of the bullpen all yr and has 2 bad outings and now the guy's a bum?. Don't kick him to the curb just yet.

DannyW

I wouldn't trade Ozzie for anybody!

You know, the little fella is growing on me too. He's the perfect team player. He combines all-star caliber performance with excitement and enthusiasm, and does it in a way that doesn't make it about himself or set off the other team.

If his career trajectory continues on the current path, I hope AA does the right thing and reworks his contract in a year or two. He is an absolute steal at $5 million a year.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Will Smith prolly shouldn't have hit Soto Tuesday. . Dang sure shouldn't have been pitching to him last night

BassRaider

Dang I wouldn't want to work for you ?, he's been the pride of the bullpen all yr and has 2 bad outings and now the guy's a bum?. Don't kick him to the curb just yet.

His last 4 outings: 4 innings, 7 hits, 3 walks, 6 earned runs, 4 SO.
Not much pride to be had.

westcobbdog

You know, the little fella is growing on me too. He's the perfect team player. He combines all-star caliber performance with excitement and enthusiasm, and does it in a way that doesn't make it about himself or set off the other team.

If his career trajectory continues on the current path, I hope AA does the right thing and reworks his contract in a year or two. He is an absolute steal at $5 million a year.
One of my 6 yr old t ball players takes BP with Ozzie, lucky kid.

BornToHuntAndFish

Notice in Wednesday night's game loss, the Braves 6-hits came from recent trade acquisition players with 3 of them coming from Soler.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
The bullpen success and failure looks like some sort of wave chart.... Down.... Up..
. Down..... Down..... Down... Up.... Down

DannyW

Incredible...Just heard that a judge ruled that Marcel Ozuna has been ordered to complete a "diversion" program. If he does, his charges go away. Apparently the program consists of 24 weeks of family violence and anger management therapy and 200 hours of community service.

His next court date is January 13.

What a terrible break for the Braves. This means, I think, they are still on the hook for his contract for at least 6 more months. MLB still has the right to suspend him but they probably won't until the current drama (i.e. 24 week "diversion" program) is completely over.

MLB will suspend Ozuna at some point, they have to, but carrying the liability of Ozuna's contract through the winter offseason will impact AA's ability to sign new players, and re-sign existing players (Freeman). I believe that Liberty Media, being a publicly traded corporation, has a fiduciary responsibility to count Ozuna's salary against the payroll until such time they no longer have the financial obligation.

What a ******* mess...

Last edited:

DannyW

Who knew that was a naughty word? For those reading it, I'll just say it wasn't as bad as the *******'s make it seem. :rolleyes: