Braves 2021 Season Thread

DannyW

Just got a lot tougher. I will be very surprised if the reports in the next couple days say anything other than Acuna is done for the season. Looked like he blew his ACL...

I'm hoping it's a hyper-extended knee, or just a severe sprain. It's been obvious that Ronald likes attention, won't go into the examples, and hope he was playing up the severity for crowd sympathy. Maybe with a week or two of therapy and rest he will be ready to go?

Just hope it's not a severe injury that robs him of one of his five tools - speed.

What a wacky season it's been between injuries and wife beatings...

BornToHuntAndFish

Bad news update . . .

Twitter:

Atlanta Braves
@Braves

OF Ronald Acuña Jr. underwent an MRI today that showed a complete tear of his right ACL. He will undergo season-ending surgery.

11:15 PM · July 10, 2021

Duff

Crap. When it rains it pours, I reckon.

DannyW

Well, so much for hoping for a bad sprain. This is awful news for Acuna. The next year is going to be really tough on the kid. Now you can only hope that he can recover enough to play at his pre-injury level.

Good luck Ronald.

Don't want to make this about the team but with Acuna's injury added to the mix, it may be more adversity and craziness than they can overcome this season.

biggdogg

I think this injury forces the Braves to wave the white flag and start building for next season. Acuna will be ready to go opening day most likely. ACL surgery has come to the point that players are back on the field full strength in 6-8 months, some have come back as quickly as 5 months. Definitely stinks for this season though.

BornToHuntAndFish

Sorry for Acuna, who was having another career record season but loses just less than half of it that's left. Sorry to have injury prone players potentially hurting their future.

What a rough season for Braves losing top players in their batting lineup.

Hope losing players to injuries can help Atlanta use it for motivation to fight & battle even more for the rest of the season that is left.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/ronald-acuna-jr-injured

Acuña out for '21 season with torn ACL

July 10th, 2021

E59A4V9XEAYDnYc

Twitter:

Atlanta Braves
@Braves

The #Braves today recalled INF/OF Johan Camargo to Atlanta and placed OF Ronald Acuña Jr. on the 60-day injured list with a torn ACL in his right knee.

9:54 AM · July 11, 2021

E6BWW5CX0AIaDem

Last edited:

DannyW

That line-up card says it all...the catcher and entire outfield are players that were just plain let go by other teams....unwanted and forgotten. I had never even really heard of them before this season.

How did the minor league system get so dry in the outfield? AA needs to shore that up. Apparently Waters is not ready and Pache has already proved he is not ready...although I would not be surprised to see him get another call up with the Acuna injury.

DannyW

I think this injury forces the Braves to wave the white flag and start building for next season. Acuna will be ready to go opening day most likely. ACL surgery has come to the point that players are back on the field full strength in 6-8 months, some have come back as quickly as 5 months. Definitely stinks for this season though.

Yeah, makes the Braves likely to become more of a seller than a buyer at the trade deadline. Kinda hate it because I was hoping the Braves would make a run at Kimbrel. He could make a difference of 3-4-5 wins all by himself over the last half of the season.

I could see the Braves dangling Smyly and Morton out there. They're on 1-year deals and probably won't be back. And several of our relievers/minor league pitchers could draw interest.

Come on AA....surprise me by trading for a lock down closer, a couple quality outfielders, and some decent relievers at the deadline. :rofl:

BornToHuntAndFish

Braves rebuilding for the future 5-years down the road with the MLB Draft tonight & Atlanta having the 24th pick.

Strange how Braves now have quite a different look than the start of the season, unfortunately, which may not look similar even by the end of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/mlb-draft-overview-and-schedule-2021

Everything you need to know about the Draft

3:21 AM EDT

first 36 picks will occur on the opening night of the Draft tonight at 7 p.m. ET on both MLB Network and ESPN

BornToHuntAndFish

Whatever does not break you only makes you stronger.

Let's take lemons & make lemonade.

Just another character building exercise for the Braves.

Dansby Swanson had a 2-HR game in today's game loss.

Let's win for Ronnie!

Atlanta is still making records in history one way or another, even if it's not on the good side.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/ronald-acuna-jr-in-good-spirits-after-acl-tear

Acuña in 'great spirits,' eyes full recovery

1:55 PM EDT

Snitker said he didn’t get much sleep last night: “I slept like a baby. I woke up every few hours and cried.”

“He’s a young, strong guy,” Snitker said. “He’ll recover great and continue a Hall of Fame career when he’s done.”

Braves Hall of Famer Chipper Jones suffered a similar injury at the beginning of his career and made a full recovery.

“We’re going to continue to play, the same as when we lost Marcell, and the same when we lost Travis. We’ve been through this before,” Snitker said. “This isn’t new to this group of guys.”

You’re not going to replace him. This guy is arguably the best player in the game right now. So it’s going to be hard to replace him.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pablo-lopez-strikes-out-first-9-batters-for-mlb-record

Marlins' López fans first 9, sets MLB record

2:59 PM EDT

Marlins right-hander Pablo López set a Modern Era (since 1900) record by striking out the first nine batters in Sunday afternoon's first-half finale against the Braves at loanDepot park.

López surpassed Germán Márquez (2018), Jacob deGrom (2014) and Jim Deshaies (1986), who each fanned the first eight hitters. Mickey Welch collected nine straight in 1884 for the New York Gothams. The Marlins’ previous franchise record was five by Scott Olsen on June 28, 2007

López struck out the side -- Ehire Adrianza, Freddie Freeman and Ozzie Albies -- swinging on 13 pitches in the first.

Austin Riley, Orlando Arcia and Dansby Swanson all fanned swinging in the second on 10 pitches.

Guillermo Heredia struck out looking, Kevan Smith swinging and Ian Anderson looking to cap a 12-pitch third.

E6CNN88XIAALToZ

jbarron

BANNED
Well, now we'll be sellers instead of buyers as the trade deadline approaches. Maybe they'll trade Freddie???

Shadow11

It stinks for sure, but maybe it will end up being one of those things that gets the other guys fired up. You see it all the time in sports.... "Let's win this one for Acuna"!

Probably not, but maybe.

LEGHORN

The above is not gonna happen. THEY now will realize what we all have know for a time now, the Braves got no shot at post season play this year.

westcobbdog

My concern is every move AA makes is about the almighty dollar first and the team / fans second. What a difference a year makes.

DannyW

The above is not gonna happen. THEY now will realize what we all have know for a time now, the Braves got no shot at post season play this year.

Taking your comment a step further...in pro sports I always look at the end of the season like this...there is THE winner, and then all the losers. I enjoy a good run in the playoffs, don't get me wrong, but in the end it's all about being champion.

The current roster is a shell of the one AA built to start the season. And we all know with this roster, after all the injuries and legal troubles, there is no chance the Braves are going to play in the last game of the season.