Braves 2023 Season Thread

DannyW

With spring training less than 4 weeks away, and college football in the rear-view mirror, it's about time to talk baseball. Here is some random stuff from the last few weeks about the Braves and around the league.

With most major free agent signings complete, E-Spins initial 2023 power rankings are out. Houston is 1st. Braves are 2nd, Yankees/Mets/Dodgers are 3-4-5.

Adam Duval is no longer a LF option for the Braves, at least not to start the season. Duval signed a $7M contract with Boston. That leaves us with Eddie Rosario as our LF, unless they try to convert Grissom into an outfielder, which there was some talk about doing late last season. Ozuna would be the back-up, Lord help us, barring a trade or FA signing.

Andruw Jones is making some noise, finally, in the 2023 HOF voting. According to the HOF Tracker, with 42% of the public votes in, he is sitting at 68% (need 75% to get in). He may not make it this year but he has 4 more years of eligibility, and he trending in the right direction. So far, he has picked up 24 new votes, people who did not vote for him last year but are naming him this time around.

MLB has released the initial Luxury Tax due figures, but they can change due to Arbitration and trades. I spent a good bit of time in the off-season researching the Luxury Tax and thought I had at least a fair understanding of the basics, but apparently, I don't. Not surprisingly the Mets have the highest 2023 Total Payroll at $329 million, but only owe $30 million in Luxury Tax. On the other hand, the LAD have a 2023 Total Payroll of $206 million, but owe $32 million in Luxury Tax. I give up trying to understand it.

The Mets have two players, Scherzer and Velander, who will make a total of $86.7 million this season. Being starting pitchers, ideally and barring injury, they will play about 7 innings in 40% of the games. To put this into perspective, the 8 Braves starting fielding positions (including Rosario in LF and Arcia at SS) will make $79.6 million this season. And will play in 95+ innings this season, again barring injury. Think about that.

What to do with Marcell Ozuna? Last season he proved not only be a liability in the field, he also was a liability at the plate. Does AA just concede he is a lost cause, cut him loose and take the ~$32 hit? Surely AA has shopped him around trying to move him and obviously no team is interested.

Finally, the Mets have MLB oldest roster with an average player age of 30.7 years old. They have 21 players age 30 or older. The Braves roster averages 29.4 years old with only 10 players age 30 or older.

Spring training camp opens February 16. Can't wait.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The Braves have let a lot of great players go, it will be a interesting season for sure!

It was very peculiar offseason for sure. You kind of have to trust AA at this point with his track record, but its really kind of head scratching at the very low key players signed. I trust he has a plan, but there may be a lot of ticked off folks come late summer if the Braves aren't a part of the playoff picture.

Duff

Strange off season for sure. Hope AA has a plan.

If Verlander makes 30 starts and averages 90 pitches per game (I think that would be considered good for a 40 yr old pitcher), he would make over $16,000.00 per pitch. Thats per pitch. That is mind blowing to me.

DannyW

If Verlander makes 30 starts and averages 90 pitches per game (I think that would be considered good for a 40 yr old pitcher), he would make over $16,000.00 per pitch. Thats per pitch. That is mind blowing to me.
Yeah, roughly $1.5 million a game. facepalm:

I bet the top two Braves pitchers will have about the same results as Velander and Scherzer at the end of the season in terms of Wins, ERA, and IP. And for about 25% of what those two are being paid.

James12

Think it’s been pretty telling just how much Freddie meant to this team and city, as it’s been crickets with hometown Swanson leaving. Although Freddie earned that type of response.

Is there any way to get him back :)?

walukabuck

First of all, thank you for baseball talk on this forum. A breath of fresh air indeed. Have lost half of a real good infield over the last 2 years. That's hard to overcome even though Olsen is very serviceable. I'm not sold on Grissom yet, we'll see. Left field is concern again, ozuna was a horrible deal in hindsight. Definitely seems like if the team doesn't lock a guy up early they won't resign them. 24 days until pitchers and catchers report.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Just let the Mets be the Mets. Overpaying for old players and not winning…that’s the NY way.

Duff

Just let the Mets be the Mets. Overpaying for old players and not winning…that’s the NY way.
Now you’re talking. If Verlander doesn’t show a decline in the next 2 seasons, I’d be surprised. Can’t imagine a 41 year old pitcher being worth 43,333,333. But he does go home to Kate Upton, so that could be the fountain of youth :bounce:

HermanMerman

I think they are banking on too many things going right… Grissom playing defense, Soroka’s ankle holding up, Anderson getting back to form, Rosario being able to see at the plate… but I do respect their unwillingness to overpay for guys.

Angel Eyes

I am very worried about the short stop situation. You must have great defense at that position too win games. Hitting is just a bonus at that position.

Shadow11

I haven't been following much in the last few months. I'm expecting better pitching this yr. Not sure about offense. Is grissom expected to play short?

BornToHuntAndFish

Braves continue having their better people help fill SS & LF. Reckon there will be some good competing at Spring Training.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/vaughn-grissom-dansby-swanson-topics-at-braves-fest

Braves firm on shortstop stance: 'We’re going to be fine'

5:34 PM EST

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35498080/braves-vaughn-grissom-gets-extra-work-move-shortstop

Braves' Vaughn Grissom gets extra work for move to shortstop

5:19 PM ET

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35493290/of-kevin-pillar-joins-atlanta-braves-minor-league-deal

OF Kevin Pillar joins Atlanta Braves on minor-league deal

12:54 AM ET

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Braves will field a competitive squad. No doubt in my mind. Dansby is about as cool as his haircut…

This is Austin Riley’s team. He leads by example.

Look for Ronald to return to form. Hopefully Soroka too. If both happen, look out. The Braves will be lights out..

ucfireman

Hope Soroka can come back as good as before the injury.
We do need some out field talent though.
Take the loss on Ozuna.
Should have never got rid of William Contreras

biggdogg

Grissom/Arcia will be fine. Grissom is young and will improve. LF is honestly more concerning. Defense will be decent with the players available, but will any of them generate any offense?

Not paying Freddie and Dansby were bigger picture plays. Fried is the prize that AA is shooting to keep. And with Morton, Rosario and Ozuna coming off the books by the time Fried is eligible for free agency, AA has put himself in position to pay him.

And for the record, I don't believe Dansby was worth what he asked AA for and most definitely not worth what the Cubs are gonna pay.

As far as the luxury tax numbers mentioned by the OP, those are the final payroll totals and penalties for the 2022 season. 2023 payroll and penalties will fluctuate through the season with trades, particularly at the deadline.

And the Mets and Philthies spent a ton of money to fight for second place...

Whitefeather

Management Material
How is Andruw Jones not voted into the HOF again this year? Only got like 58% of the vote.