Braves 2023 Season Thread

walukabuck

Yep.
He’s the voice of the Cardinals now..
Yep, chip was loyal. Sometimes almost too much. French and chip would have you wondering how the braves could ever lose a game. Made every player sound like a future hall of famer. Having the extra inning package, he's still better than a lot out there

BamaGeorgialine

I will say that Frenchy has moved mountains compared to his first year in the booth. I think that once he got comfortable that he's been pretty good. I like to hear an announcer talk that you know is a Braves homer like I am. My fondest memories are sitting with my Granddad and watching the Braves. He was retired and never missed a game. Day or night. He was a man's man and a man of few words. If I had to pick only one sport to watch for the rest of my life it would be baseball and the team would be the Braves

DannyW

I will say that Frenchy has moved mountains compared to his first year in the booth. I think that once he got comfortable that he's been pretty good.

First year or two was tough...but when he started relaying his real MLB experience to the game at hand he became relevant. Despite what some believe he wasn't a bad MLB player.

Look up his stats sometime. He exceeded 100 RBI's twice and won a Gold Glove. Not a HOF'er but respectable.

walukabuck

He
First year or two was tough...but when he started relaying his real MLB experience to the game at hand he became relevant. Despite what some believe he wasn't a bad MLB player.

Look up his stats sometime. He exceeded 100 RBI's twice and won a Gold Glove. Not a HOF'er but respectable.
Was definitely serviceable. Never did make the needed adjustments at the plate like many. He probably had unrealistic expectations put on him coming up. Much like Hayward who never lived up to the incredible hype. Baseball media is always trying to crown the next great one.

DannyW

Happy for Snit. Just signed a 3-year extension thru 2025. I realize it is much too early to be talking about it, but is his career, currently with over 1,800 major/minor wins, playoffs 5 of his first six seasons, 5 straight division titles, plus a WS ring, worthy of HOF consideration?

I think now, no. But three more 90+ win seasons, plus 2-3 playoff runs, and maybe another WS title, would get him there.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Happy for Snit. Just signed a 3-year extension thru 2025. I realize it is much too early to be talking about it, but is his career, currently with over 1,800 major/minor wins, playoffs 5 of his first six seasons, 5 straight division titles, plus a WS ring, worthy of HOF consideration?

I think now, no. But three more 90+ win seasons, plus 2-3 playoff runs, and maybe another WS title, would get him there.
Agree. If or when Andruw Jones gets in, that’ll be 5 HOFers on one team and Bobby Cox didn’t win a WS with that.

Snit is highly underrated

DannyW

Agree. If or when Andruw Jones gets in, that’ll be 5 HOFers on one team and Bobby Cox didn’t win a WS with that.

I beginning to believe Andruw will get there. His votes went from 7% - 8% - 11% - 19% - 34% - 41% - 58%. He is trending in the right direction for the last 4-5 years, and in significant annual jumps. Next year's vote will tell us, if he jumps 8-10% again, he will get there. But if he plateaus, he may be in trouble.

His problem is there are not many defensive stats that make much sense to anyone, other than Gold Gloves. What is Rtot, or LgRF9, and RF9? I'm a baseball fan and I don't.

On the other hand, there are about a gazillion batting stats. And the average fan can understand what Batting Average, RBI's and Home Runs mean.

You had to watch Andruw play to appreciate his greatness.

DannyW

Yikes...the annual MLB farm system rankings are in and the Braves farm system is being universally rated....dead last. No top 100 prospects, Atlanta is the only team without at least one.

In around 5 years they went from first to worst.

The cupboard is bare and the Braves have gone all-in on their current core group of players.

Of course, as Kevin Costner said in Money Ball...you say you know which kids are going to make it to the big leagues, but the fact is you just don't know.

DannyW

One of the major MLB ranking predictors, FanGraphs, just finished their annual projections for all teams. The Braves fared nicely.

Position players and DH: They have Top 5 players at all positions except 2B (8th), SS (24th), LF (29th) and DH (20th).

Starting pitchers: Atlanta's starting pitching staff is 6th.

Bullpen: Their relievers are rated as the #1 staff.

Overall batting: Projected to be 8th.

Overall Pitching: Projected to 3rd.

Overall Team: The Braves are ranked #3 behind the NYY and Astros. (Just to keep it real, the Mets are ranked 4th overall.)

Duff

Yeah, this core group better win for the next 6-7 years and give them a chance to restock, or it will be a long dry spell to be a braves fan.

BornToHuntAndFish

For those interested in Braves Spring Training . . .

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/braves-spring-training-2023

What to know about Braves Spring Training

February 10th, 2023

When is the first workout for pitchers and catchers?

World Baseball Classic participants: Pitchers and catchers report Feb. 13 and position players on Feb. 16.
Non-WBC participants: Pitchers and catchers report Feb. 15 and position players on Feb. 20.

What is the date of the first full-squad workout?

Feb. 21

When is the team’s first Grapefruit game?

Feb. 25 vs. the Red Sox

Will the team’s games be televised?

February 2023

or

March 2023

Fo3UcbZXwBQNWc_

Fo8MUE_XwAQmO9O

Fo7lQ0RaIAEQAj-

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Spring Training opening day arrives as we get more exposure to the new MLB changes, especially the pitch clock.

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-mlb-pitch-timer-works

A behind-the-scenes look at how the pitch timer works

February 7th, 2023

FoiIpj8XEAEn23W

FoiIqemXsAIw7fR

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/braves-injuries-and-roster-moves

Injuries & Roster Moves: Albies playing catch

February 24th, 2023

Feb. 24: 2B Ozzie Albies on track after arthroscopic shoulder surgery in October
RHP Michael Soroka (hamstring tightness)
Expected return: TBD
(Last updated: Feb. 17)
LHP Tyler Matzek (Tommy John surgery)
Expected return: 2024
(Last updated: Oct. 12)
RHP Huascar Ynoa (Tommy John surgery)
Expected return: 2024
(Last updated: Sept. 9)

Fp0PIIZXwAMpxsX

EDIT Update below:

Braves tie the game 6-6 in the bottom of the 9th-inning.

Game is over at the end of the 9th-inning after a Braves batter strikes out with bases loaded due to a pitch clock violation.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/automatic-strike-leaves-red-sox-braves-tied

Red Sox-Braves game ends on automatic strike call

an automatic strike concluded a 6-6 tie between the Braves and Red Sox
Plate umpire John Libka ended the game when he issued the automatic strike with the bases loaded, two outs and a full count against Braves second baseman Cal Conley. Libka ruled Conley wasn’t ready to hit in time.
a batter must be in the box and alert to the pitcher when there are eight seconds on the clock. The catcher has to be in the box behind home plate with nine seconds on the clock, standing or crouched.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...violation-ends-braves-red-sox-spring-game-tie

Pitch clock violation ends Braves-Red Sox spring game in tie

Cal Conley of the Atlanta Braves thought he had just won the game with a two-out, bases-loaded walk-off walk on Saturday. He took a few steps toward first base, bat still in hand, when umpire John Libka jumped out from behind the plate and indicated strike three.
Conley, facing reliever Robert Kwiatkowski of the Boston Red Sox, wasn't set in the box as the clock wound under eight seconds.
The penalty is an automatic strike, which led to the game in North Port, Florida, finishing in a 6-6 tie. Kwiatkowski got the strikeout after throwing only two real strikes.

Last edited:

Duff

:cheers:

Well, Acuna is stinking it up in the WBC. Thats not good.

Saw where they sent Anderson to the minors. Was hoping he would regain form.

DannyW

:cheers:

Well, Acuna is stinking it up in the WBC. Thats not good.

Saw where they sent Anderson to the minors. Was hoping he would regain form.
Hate to hear that about Anderson. Maybe he can get it turned around...sure hope so.

Not surprised about Acuna. I have said before, and I will stand behind it, they should have traded him two years ago. Even if he has a decent year, the Braves are a better TEAM without him (See: 2021 Atlanta Braves 2nd half surge and World Series).

I am surprised to see the Braves cut Jackson Stephens. I thought he was a decent bullpen piece. Just goes to show how deep their bullpen is, and why it's considered the best in the game right now.

DannyW

The NYM got some bad news. Pitching in the WBC, top closer Edwin Diaz hurt his knee. I'm no doctor but when your closer can't put any weight on their leg, and has to be helped off the field while dragging their leg at a 90 degree angle to their body, it's bad.

Undergoing MRI to determine how bad.

Hurt it celebrating a win, how many times have you heard that story?

Edwin Diaz Injury

Duff

Diaz tore a tendon. May miss the season. Yikes!