Braves Free Agent Signings

westcobbdog

Well the Braves ( liberty media ) just dissed Josh and all us fans, offering Josh Donaldson nothing until 1-2 days before he signed with the twins, clearly illustrating they are not “all in” instead on a budget looking for budget deals, ticks me off. This is coming straight from JD in today’s al jazeera constitution.

biggdogg

Considering his injury history and the fact he and his agent made it clear that the Braves would have the opportunity to make the final offer, there really wasn't any reason to present a deal to his agent until he actually had legitimate offers on the table. The Twins didn't even enter the conversation until the last few weeks. And they came out of the gates at 4 years. The Braves were pretty up front that they had no reservations about a two or three year deal. Four years was iffy from the get-go and five was obviously a deal breaker.

Minnesota over paid in my opinion.

BornToHuntAndFish

Don't be surprised if the Braves pull this off. Like I said. Rockies you want prospects? Send me a Bluebird bus. I'll load it for you just send me Nolan and his gear

I like your positive outlook & optimism which helps give me some hope, but I'll believe it when I see it.

This would be one of the few things left to help AA save face after losing JD to the Twins which appears to most I know that they went overboard as a bad deal for the team in the long term, but I'm usually pulling for the player to get biggest, longest deal they can get so I'm glad for Donaldson while being disappointed for the Braves. Hope he can stay healthy & can stay away from past leg injuries.

Seems like buyers remorse (with a few exceptions) sets in shortly like after a year or two or three when their budgets usually appear to be out of control or over extended in their commitments & they start dumping or trading players.

We've seen what AA usually does which is not making long term deals (except for young lower budget talent like Acuna & Albies), not trading away top talent, etc., but somehow finding & acquiring needed talent to fill holes on the team, which I expect most of us are hoping for on that last item.

Of course, none of us knows all the details, but sometimes we get surprised by deals made by teams.

Here's Part 2 of the previous Arenado news items below. Seems like there is plenty of motivation by Nolan & the team to find a way to move him in a deal with another team.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...do-ire-rooted-rockies-inactivity-71-91-season

Nolan Arenado's ire rooted in Rockies' inactivity after 71-91 season

2:22 AM ET

Executives involved in the discussions told ESPN that Colorado's demands were excessive enough that no deal has come close to being finalized. The Rockies, sources said, have sought a significant return for Arenado, despite the size and structure of his contract.

He holds both a full no-trade clause and an opt-out clause that allows him to void the deal after the 2021 season. Currently, Arenado is owed $234 million over the next seven years. Were he to opt out, he would leave $164 million on the table and reach free agency at 30 years old.

Rockies spent a franchise-record $178.9 million on payroll last year; and with a payroll that currently would exceed $170 million

Rockies' disastrous forays into free agency in 2017 and 2018 -- . . . -- have hamstrung them financially

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Minnesota over paid in my opinion.

My thoughts too. The problem is Liberty is not going to get off their wallet to put a premier team on the field. I don't know why they even bought the team. They aren't serious about winning it all and it's obvious.

biggdogg

Nolan is ready to leave Colorado. But he won't be headed to Atlanta. Bet on it. These guys that are willing to sell the farm for him must have really enjoyed that last rebuild...

biggdogg

Marcell Ozuna is your new power bat. I'm betting either Ender or Duvall will be filling out change if address forms in the near future. If not both...

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Braves just inked Ozuna to 1 yr@ 18MM. We now have a cleanup hitter that batted .241 last year :rockon: $10 and a cold beer says Fred leads the league in walks this year.

Watch the Nats pick up Arenado @ the deadline. Then we can watch him smash us for 18 games a year.

biggdogg

Braves just inked Ozuna to 1 yr@ 18MM. We now have a cleanup hitter that batted .241 last year :rockon: $10 and a cold beer says Fred leads the league in walks this year.

Watch the Nats pick up Arenado @ the deadline. Then we can watch him smash us for 18 games a year.

Freeman probably will lead the league in walks. He was 8th in the league WITH Donaldson behind him. So what's your point.

At this point, nothing AA can do will appease anyone...

Duff

I like it. At least their not sitting on their hands. Good get!

Raylander

Freeman probably will lead the league in walks. He was 8th in the league WITH Donaldson behind him. So what's your point.

At this point, nothing AA can do will appease anyone...

My point is 1st is higher than 8th. Taking the bat outta the hands of our best hitter seems counterproductive..

Let me know how winning in AAA and filling up the ‘top prospect’ lists goes for you. I’d prefer a ring.. Being mediocre sucks buddy

treemanjohn

Banned
Ozuna is a great glove and has a killer arm when his shoulder isn't coming unhinged. His bat is hot and cold. Lots of strikeouts and a low batting average. He hits it a ton when he gets a hold of it. I'm not excited......

biggdogg

I hear a lot of the exact same things being said now that was said when AA signed Donaldson a year ago. Folks hate mediocrity, but can't wait to sell the farm so we can celebrate mediocrity in another 5 years. How many rings does Colorado have with Arenado? Let's go get Arenado and in two years complain because Freeman walks. And then Fried and Soroka get traded two years later because they get $15-20 mil each in arbitration. Mediocrity sucks buddy, so by all means, leats bring it back...

Raylander

I hear a lot of the exact same things being said now that was said when AA signed Donaldson a year ago. Folks hate mediocrity, but can't wait to sell the farm so we can celebrate mediocrity in another 5 years. How many rings does Colorado have with Arenado? Let's go get Arenado and in two years complain because Freeman walks. And then Fried and Soroka get traded two years later because they get $15-20 mil each in arbitration. Mediocrity sucks buddy, so by all means, leats bring it back...

We are mediocre, look at the results..

I don’t know who you were talking to last year this time but JD was a clear upgrade from the 3B we didn’t have at that time. You know who started the previous year as our triple bagger? Flaherty

Here’s a lesson bud. When you fall short, you look for ways to get better. You don’t put a stop gap in place. Buy low sell high. I suggest we let some else prospect while we win!

I do hope AAA can repeat though. It must mean a lot to you.

treemanjohn

Banned
Arrenado is the best 3 bag in baseball and arguably one of the top 2 or 3 offensive players. Hes a duel threat player in his prime. Prospects are just that. Prospects. If they were great players they would be playing now. Prospects are everywhere

Mookie would be another one to work a deal for. Moran would be a good pick

biggdogg

Well, y'alls formula did work for the Marlins a couple times...

biggdogg

The Sox traded for an ace, to add to an already stout pitching staff. Apples to oranges. The vast majority of titles have been won by great pitching and timely hitting. Not by a great 3B. Trading your best prospects for a deGrom, Bauer, Clevinger or Strasburg is a much different conversation than trading for an Arenado.

I get it, prospects are just that, prospects. But last I checked, Ozzie, Dansby, Freddie and Soroka were top prospects. I would much rather see Pache and Waters on either side of Acuna and Anderson in the rotation with Soroka and Fried for the next 10 years than have Arenado for two seasons, or worse cripple the team finacially for seven. Sorry, that albatross of a contract is a deal breaker. And the only way to get Colorado to eat a chunk of it is to completely gut the farm system. Having Arenado around is worthless without anyone coming up in the ranks to replace other key parts that you will lose by not having the money to re-sign them or any other potential free agent additions. Sure, Arenado might cost several prospects now, but he'll also cost you Freeman, Soroka and Fried within the next 5 years. You're hoping the Braves play ball with Red Sox money. Ain't happening.

Raylander

I say we keep falling short and claim success next year.. ??‍♀️

It wouldn’t take 10 players to get Arenado. Maybe just 3 or 4 of the ‘right’ players- 2 of which could be on the big league roster and might just clear some space for some of those prospects to actually contribute where it counts.

We’ve got 50 M coming off the books this off season. That’s just in 3 contracts (Melancon, Hamels, and Ozuna). None of those 3 will be coming back for that $$. Plenty of $$ to go around if they really wanted to win..