Bream beds, how I love thee..

RamblinWreck

Got on some more studs today. JDM UL rig, red wiggler on a 1/32 jig head, 10-11 FOW, 77F. Found them with side imaging. Action was so good I couldn't keep a cigar lit. All fish released today. Pic 7 is my new PB redear, a male, 1.41 lbs, and he fought like a devil. Caught around 20, including some green trash fish.
brimfest060120_09.jpgbrimfest060120_08.jpgbrimfest060120_07.jpgbrimfest060120_06.jpgbrimfest060120_05.jpgbrimfest060120_04.jpgbrimfest060120_03.jpgbrimfest060120_02.jpg

Supper tonight: shellcracker filets from the other day, w/ zucchini sticks.
brimfest060120_01.jpg

95g atl

great pics. Thanks for sharing.

We typically do this at Lanier every summer. 20+ fish easily. My 9 year old loves it!
Left the boat at the FL house last weekend, sooooooooooo
won't be hitting up lanier anytime soon :(

RamblinWreck

What are those wounds on the side of them?

Heron? Osprey? Bald eagle? Kingfisher? Snapping turtle? Lens flare? How would I know? All the usual suspects are here, and it isn't uncommon to see a scar on a fish now and then. Only one fish had something going on, all the others were perfectly healthy.
I knew there was a reason I had you on ignore.

RamblinWreck

In the last picture, the fish got away from my rheumatic hands, and fell into the bottom of the kayak, whereupon it got spilled red wiggler dirt from Hammonds all over it. I rushed it to the laundromat, and after a spin cycle or two, the now spotless teat-cracker was pronounced healthy by no less than three biologists, and a Zoroastrian named Vilmer, and was put back in the lake EXACTLY where I caught it.
:LOL:

RamblinWreck

Cracker fans:

I love them. All hail the king of the bream, the redear sunfish, our shellcracker. Big lips, down-looking eyes, hard plates in the throat to crunch mollusks (crack shells). 3 lb common in lake Havasu, AZ, what! Can you imagine? Road trip...They fight HARD. If I could get on the big ones all year, I wouldn't fish for anything else.

My secret? Ha! As if I had any. Use your side imaging. Put in time looking.

Lake? Here's a poem:
Where I fish is very clear
not Lanier
public, yes
Take a guess.
Guess right
catch a mess.
best to stick
with 4 lb test

Last edited:

Richf7

In the last picture, the fish got away from my rheumatic hands, and fell into the bottom of the kayak, whereupon it got spilled red wiggler dirt from Hammonds all over it. I rushed it to the laundromat, and after a spin cycle or two, the now spotless teat-cracker was pronounced healthy by no less than three biologists, and a Zoroastrian named Vilmer, and was put back in the lake EXACTLY where I caught it.
:LOL:

And I thought I was the only one using hi viz yellow line. It's the best!

What's the trick to baiting a red wiggler on a bream hook? They give me fits.

RamblinWreck

And I thought I was the only one using hi viz yellow line. It's the best!
What's the trick to baiting a red wiggler on a bream hook? They give me fits.

Trick? I just hook 'em once, thru the egg sack. Sometimes cussin' helps.

I tried some 2 lb test flouro once, but I couldn't hardly see it to tie a knot.

panfishvinnie

Cracker fans:

I love them. All hail the king of the bream, the redear sunfish, our shellcracker. Big lips, down-looking eyes, hard plates in the throat to crunch mollusks (crack shells). 3 lb common in lake Havasu, AZ, what! Can you imagine? Road trip...They fight HARD. If I could get on the big ones all year, I wouldn't fish for anything else.

My secret? Ha! As if I had any. Use your side imaging. Put in time looking.

Lake? Here's a poem:
Where I fish is very clear
not Lanier
public, yes
Take a guess.
Guess right
catch a mess.
best to stick
with 4 lb test
I'll take a guess... Is it in Hall Country?

Horns

Bream are awesome to catch. I will never forget my favorite fishing trip of my life. Took my elderly Papa that was in frail health to a farm that I worked on. I started fishing with him and then just baited his hook for him. He caught a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of big bream. All varieties Georgia Giant, bluegill, and shellcracker. He has left this world now but I think about that trip and the fun he had that day, all I can do is smile. Great time with a great man

Richf7

Trick? I just hook 'em once, thru the egg sack. Sometimes cussin' helps.

I tried some 2 lb test flouro once, but I couldn't hardly see it to tie a knot.

As a kid we used dough balls made from white bread, bacon, or fatback to catch bream. Biggest one I ever caught was on a small piece of ham. Go figure.